Goals galore in South clashes

Creetown v Heston Rovers, Heston's No.6 Darren Brown finds no way past Creetown's No.6 Steven Campbell
Creetown v Heston Rovers, Heston's No.6 Darren Brown finds no way past Creetown's No.6 Steven Campbell
Share this article

There were goals galore in South football on Saturday with no fewer than 39 goals being struck in the six matches played.

Top scorers were Heston Rovers and Newton Stewart who both hit the net 10 times each in their respective Potts Cup first round ties against Creetown and Abbey Vale respectively.

The Creesiders gave up home advantage and travelled to play Abbey Vale at New Abbey and, following a goal-less first 45 minutes, the floodgates opened with Liam Muir finding the net two minutes after the restart.

A Finley Street own goal and a strike from Robert Middleton put the visitors three ahead by the 50th minute. Doubles from Ryan McKie, Calum Dunn and Robert Middleton, completing his hat-trick, added to a single from Jason Gallacher put the scoreline into double figures, with Ricky Baxter scoring a late consolation with two minutes left to play.

In the match at Creetown, Heston Rovers were three goals to the good by the 34th minute through a Sean Kevan hat-trick, with Darren Brown adding a fourth before the break. Six more goals followed in the second half, with Grant Learmont hitting a double, Dayne Moore and Russell Jardine scoring a single each, and Darren Brown going firing home another two to complete his hat-trick. Andrew Stewart scored Creetown’s solitary goal.

Heston Manager Raymond Boyd said: “It was as convincing as the score reads with our lads keeping possession and knocking the ball around creating chance after chance.”

Dalbeattie Star beat Stewartry neighbours Fleet Star 3-1 at Garries Park. Sam Warren opened the scoring in the 20th minute when he ran through on keeper Sean Hutchison and, eight minutes later, Paul Cook had a tap-in at the back post to give the visitors a two-goal cushion at the break.

The game was then very even and it took until the 81st minute for the game to produce another goal when Davy McKie brought the Gatehouse side back into things when he scored from six yards out against the Scottish Lowland League team. Two minutes later, though, Dalbeattie restored their two-goal advantage when Scott Milligan completed the scoring with his side’s third.

The other Lowland League side, Threave Rovers, had an away tie to Lochar Thistle with this match producing 10 goals between the two teams, with five in each half. A Grant Parker first-half hat-trick added to a Dean Fyfe strike was countered by a goal from Ian Anderson before the break. Shaun Milligan added a fifth after the restart for the Castle Douglas side before Justin Nicol lobbed the home keeper for goal number six. Substitute Darren Tait headed the seventh before Lochar came with a late rally with Terry Jardine and Mike McGauchie finding the net before the end of the contest.

There were two South of Scotland League matches played, with the result at Sanquhar where Nithsdale Wanderers defeated the unbeaten Wigtown and Bladnoch by a single goal, opening up the race for this season’s title.

The visitors finished the match with 10 men after central defender Scott Forrester had been shown two yellow cards and Nithsdale and Wigtown now share top spot in the league table with 15 points each.

The match at Hospital Park between Crichton and Mid-Annandale was petering out to a goal-less draw when the visitors truck twice in the final two minutes of play. Sean Dunbar scored from 16 yards and a minute later the same player doubled the scoreline to secure the three points for the Lockerbie side with a header.

Results from Saturday, August 24

South of Scotland League

Crichton 0 Mid-Annandale 2

Nithsdale Wanderers 1 Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

Potts Cup – Round One

Creetown 1 Heston Rovers 10

Fleet Star 1 Dalbeattie Star 3

Lochar Thistle 3 Threave Rovers 7

Newton Stewart 10 Abbey Vale 1