Wigtown just keep on winning

St Cuthbert Wanderers chances of retaining the South of Scotland League title took a knock last Saturday when they were held to a draw by Abbey Vale at New Abbey.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 21st November 2016, 4:35 pm
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 12:09 pm
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Dumfries YMCA
 Reece Agnew tussles for the ball.
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Dumfries YMCA Reece Agnew tussles for the ball.

Present league leaders Wigtown and Bladnoch however cruised to yet another victory when they scored eight goals without reply in their match against Dumfries YMCA.

Both Blair Dougan and Robert Jamieson scored hat tricks to add to singles from Reece Agnew and Callum Scott to give the Trammondford Park side a comfortable victory and another three points.

Creetown recorded a good 4-1 victory over Nithsdale Wanderers at Castle Cary Park with goals from Dean Fyfe, Ross Drysdale and a double from Ross Landers.

Edusport Academy also found the net eight times against Lochmaben although the home side put up a good fight and scored three goals with Tom Emmerson, Darren Johnstone and Connor McCrudden finding the net. Lochar Thistle and Upper Annandale shared five goals at Moffat with the visitors taking the three points by virtue of their three goal advantage at the break. Goals from Ryan Coates,Kieran Kreuse and Adam McMath see Lochar take a three goal lead into the half time interval and although Uppers fought back to score two goals the visitors held out to take the full points from a close contest.

The two semi finals of the League Cup took place on Saturday with Newton Stewart and Threave Rovers winning through to contest the final of this particular competition.

The match at Blairmount Park ended in a 2-1 victory for Newton Stewart against Heston Rovers. The Dumfries side with a depleted squad started the match well and took the lead in the sixth minute through Graham Kilpatrick with a volley from a cut back on the right. The visitors continued to play well and shaded the first half without finding the net again but after the break the Creesiders came more into the contest and youngster Marc Whyte levelled the match in the 57th minute to set up a grandstand last half hour.

Play then raged from end to end with both teams creating chances but it was the home side who broke the deadlock with 17 minutes left to play when central defender Scott Forrester scored a superb goal with a strike from 12 yards out following good pressure from Newton Stewart.

Heston fought well to send the match into extra time but Newton withstood the pressure to progress to the final and the chance of the first silverware of the season.

Threave Rovers beat Mid Annandale 3-1 with Ally Baines opening the scoring for the Lockerbie side after only three minutes play and added another from the penalty spot in the 35th minute.

Ben Irving put Threave three ahead after 62 minutes and two minutes later Dean Smith scored a consolation goal from the penalty spot for Mids.

Results from Saturday 19th November 2016

South of Scotland league

Abbey Vale 2 St Cuthbert Wanderers 2

Creetown 4 Nithsdale Wanderers 1

Lochmaben 3 Edusport Academy 8

Upper Annandale 2 Lochar Thistle 3

Wigtown and Bladnoch 8 Dumfries YMCA 0

Southern Counties Football Association League Cup Semi finals

Newton Stewart 2 Heston Rovers 1

Threave Rovers 3 Mid Annandale 1