Feast of goals as Newton run riot

Newton Stewart's Jason Gallacher rises to head home his side's sixth goal
Newton Stewart's Jason Gallacher rises to head home his side's sixth goal

Creetown 1, Newton Stewart 8

This game played at Castle Cary Park last Saturday was always expected produce a few goals and by the end of the contest nine had been scored.

The young Creetown side started the game well, with Newton Stewart, playing on a grass pitch for the first time in many games, taking time to settle.

However, it only took the visitors five minutes to open the scoring when new signing, midfielder Justin Nicholl, fed an inch-perfect pass for Calum Dunn to run onto to produce a fine solo goal.

Two minutes later, Newton doubled their lead with Nicoll involved again when he played the ball to Johnny Fisher, who flashed a fierce header into the net.

In the tenth minute, the two Dunn brothers combined to set up a chance only to see the effort being cleared off the goal line. Three minutes later, a John Patterson free kick gave Newton keeper Harry Fidler his first save of the match with the home side forcing three corners in succession but to no avail.

Disaster, though, hit Creetown with 20 minutes played when Robert Hughan received a second yellow card and was dismissed, leaving the home side with only 10 men.

Almost immediately Newton found goal number three from the foot of Lewis Dunn and continued to put immense pressure on the Creetown defence until the half-hour mark, when Adrian Brown brought another good save from keeper Fidler.

A minute later, at the other end, keeper Marty Roddie was again in action to thwart Fisher as the visitors continued to dominate the match.

Two minutes before the break, some good work from Lewis Dunn finished with the youngster lobbing keeper Roddie to the back post with Jason Gallacher sliding in to make sure.

A minute later, though, the action was at the other end when a Robert Landers corner was headed home at the near post by Graham Irvine to make the half-time score 4-1 in favour of Newton Stewart.

A minute after the restart the Creesiders restored their four-goal advantage with a superb free kick from Calum Dunn which beat the defensive wall and keeper Roddie at his left hand post.

In the 50th minute Curtiss Wilson played a great ball over to the back post where Gallacher was on hand to head home.

Calum Dunn then completed his hat-trick before substitute Robert Middleton rounded things off with an eighth goal.