Convincing home win for Stewartry

Share this article

Stewartry 39pts Cumernauld 7pts

Before the kick off both teams observed a minutes silence for past President George Sproat (1975-1981) who was buried earlier in the day.

Cumbernauld were hoping to upset the form book when they kicked off having beaten leaders Cambuslang and second place Oban Lorne in recent weeks and third placed Stewartry were next on the list. Five minutes into the game and the heavens opened with heavy rain and snow showers turning the game into a bit of a lottery. Stewartry lost centre John Muir with a broken rib in the early exchanges Stewartry replacing him with Danny Boyd.

Cumbernauld kept the game in the Stewartry 22 winning a penalty kick in seventeen minutes but the kick was missed and the danger cleared. Stewartry attacked at the other end down the left wing where fullback John Fingland charged over for the opening try. Five minutes later Stewartry won a lineout in the left hand corner with number eight Martin Smith taking possession and driving over for a second try. Cumbernauld took the game back into the Stewartry 22 but Stewartry won the Cumbernauld lineout and Mosey cleared to the halfway where winger Andrew Kerr following up took the loose ball and out ran the Cumbernauld to score at the posts. Craig Mosey added the conversion for Stewartry to lead 17-0 at half time.

Stewartry with a full squad available this week brought on Ward, McMorran and Dougie Boyd at the start of the second half and within three minutes Danny Boyd scored the fourth try after good play by Carson and Fingland down the right wing. Fifty minutes and Dougie Boyd charged straight through the centre of the Cumbernauld defence to score at the posts. Craig Mosey added the conversion. Cumbernauld pushed back up the field from the kick off but Stewartry soon won back possession to attack the Cumbernauld line where a knock on over the line denied Fingland a second try. Stewartry stole a Cumbernauld lineout in the visitors 22 and Danny Burton took advantage to score in the corner. Cumbernauld had never gave up and broke away to score a consolation try with fifteen minutes left. Stevie McCulloch scored Stewartry’s seventh and final try with only four minutes left on the clock to give Stewartry a well deserved 39-7 win, their first home league win in four league games.

This week Stewartry v Wigtownshire 12noon kick off playing for the Hannay Tully Cup at Castle Douglas followed by Scotland v Italy ko2.30pm