Championship’s destiny is in Wigtown’s hands

The arms go up as Wigtown celebrate Grant Carnochan's second half goal.'SGGY 240314 2
The arms go up as Wigtown celebrate Grant Carnochan's second half goal.'SGGY 240314 2
Share this article

Wigtown and Bladnoch 3, Crichton 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch went into this match against Crichton four points behind Newton Stewart in the race for this season’s league title.

However, the Trammondford Park side had four games in hand over their Wigtownshire rivals.

By the end Wigtown had secured the three points which put them only one point in arrears with three games more to play and into a position that now puts the destiny of the championship is in their own hands.

The home side were on the front foot from the start against the Hospital Park team and showed their intent early on with some good pressure. After six minutes a Jamie McHarrie free kick saw Crichton keeper Alistair Cathro being called into action and he had to be alert to parry the ball away before Neil Erskine fired the return well wide of the target.

With 15 minutes played a goalmouth scramble in the Crichton box looked like producing the opener but somehow the visitors’ defence managed to clear the danger.

Seven minutes later, with most of the play confined to the Crichton half, a Richard Jones corner met the head of Grant Carnochan but his effort went the wrong side of the bar.

In the 24th minute a McHarrie cross found young Blair Dougan but his good effort was just wide of the mark with the keeper well beaten.

Two minutes later, though, the visitors went ahead against the run of play when a Gary Kerr free kick from 30 yards out on the left deceived the Wigtown defence and keeper ending up in the net to give Crichton a surprise lead.

Their joy, however, was short-lived when in the 28th minute a Jones free kick found Carnochan, who sent a looping header beyond keeper Cathro to square the match.

A Mark Leighfield powerful free kick for the visitors found the upright with the keeper beaten but Wigtown continued to press and eight minutes before the break were rewarded when a near-post cross found striker Robert Jamieson who fired the ball into the roof of the net from eight yards to give his side a slender advantage to take into the interval.

Thirteen minutes after the restart Wigtown went further ahead when a Carnochan lob from 20 yards found the underside of the crossbar before ending up in the net.

The home side dominated the rest of the match but failed to find the net again with substitute Dean Agnew coming the closest when he drew a superb save from the keeper when one on one, followed by a headed effort that found the side netting from an acute angle following a McHarrie corner kick on the left.

Five minutes from time Cathro was again in action to save from substitute Robert Paisley with a 20-yard free kick but although the Crichton defence was under relentless pressure there were no more goals but Wigtown ran comfortable winners to take the three valuable points.