Champions start with a win

Newton's No. 9 Robert Middleton round's his marker
Newton's No. 9 Robert Middleton round's his marker

Football returned to the South of Scotland last weekend with a full programme of league fixtures scheduled to be played.

Although one match had to be abandoned at Lockerbie when a sudden downpour led to the cancellation of the match between Mid-Annandale and Abbey Vale.

The league champions for the two previous seasons Wigtown and Bladnoch kicked off their season with an away match at Gatehouse when they played Fleet Star in a match the visitors were expected to win to take their first three points of the season.

Wigtown did just that in a 3-1 victory although Star made them fight all the way. Lewis McIntyre put the visitors ahead after 20 minutes with a shot from 15 yards out but eight minutes later a Josh Maxwell penalty levelled the match to send the teams in at the break on an equal footing.

In the 57th minute Star keeper Kenny Shanks pulled off a penalty kick save from Blair Dougan to keep his side in the match. With 12 minutes left to play the visitors restored their lead when McIntyre scored a second with an effort from 30 yards out.

Dougan made sure of the points for Wigtown with five minutes left to play with a tap in. Last season’s runners-up Newton Stewart started their season at Blairmount Park where they had Upper-Annandale as their visitors. Newton fielded a number of new youngsters along with some of the more experienced players from last season and managed to take the three points in a 2-1 victory.

The home side scored the first goal of the season after only two minutes when last season’s top scorer Robert Middleton rifled the ball into the net following some good outfield play. Newton held this lead until the interval and four minutes after the re-start Middelton met a good cross field cross from youngster Rory Drysdale to strike the ball into the net from an acute angle 16 yards out.

The visitors found the net with 12 minutes left to give them hope but their pressure was in vain as Newton held out to take their first three points of the season.

Creetown under new management played Heston at Castle Cary Park and went down by 2-1 while Nithsdale Wanderers found the net six times against Dumfries YMCA who could only manage one goal in reply.

A new look Crichton entertained Edusport Academy for a match that it was expected could go either way and that’s exactly what happened with the match finishing in a 1-1 draw while there was a goal glut at St Marys Park where St Cuthbert Wanderers beat Lochar 5-4.

Roman Soltys put Saints ahead in the 33rd minute and Sam Warren followed up with a second before Jack McMurdo scored a third before the break.

Three minutes after the re-start Lochars William Dempster found the net to reduce the deficit but two minutes later Philip Middlemass scored a fourth for Saints.

In the 55th minute Andew Donnely scored for the home side as they went nap. The Dumfries side though were far from finished with Kieran Kreuse scoring a double with a goal on the hour mark and another in the 88th minute. A minute later Dempster scored a fourth for the visitors but Saints held on to take the three points.

Results from Saturday 25th July, 2015

South of Scotland League

Creetown 1 Heston Rovers 2

Crichton 1 Edusport Academy 1

Dumfries YMCA 1 Nithsdale Wanderers 6

Fleet Star 1 Wigtown and Bladnoch 3

Mid-Annandale v Abbey Vale –Match abandoned

Newton Stewart 2 Upper Annandale 1

St Cuthbert Wanderers 5 Lochar Thistle 4