Blacks make it two in a row

Share this article

Cumbernauld 17, Stewartry 27

Stewartry were back on the winning trail away at bottom of the league club Cumbernauld.

This was the first time they had posted a second league win in a row away from home since the end of season 2003-2004 when the Blacks won at Trinity Accies and Dalziel.

And Stewartry gained a four-try bonus point in what was a pretty scrappy affair with both teams making numerous mistakes and Stewartry conceding far too many penalties.

The game kicked off on a very heavy pitch and early penalty chances to Stewartry were missed before fullback John Muir was stopped just short of the tryline after coming into the threequarters line for a ball won from a scrum five.

But it was Cumbernauld who opened the scoring with a breakaway try from their own 22 that was converted. Stewartry continued to put the pressure on and, from a lineout, Danny Boyd gained possession and was in for his first try of the season though the conversion failed.

Cumbernauld went further ahead with a penalty kick in the Stewartry 22. From the restart, S McCulloch took a good catch and made progress deep into the Cumbernauld 22 gaining the Stewartry a penalty kick which was missed. On the half-hour, John Muir fielded a high clearance from Cumbernauld, running back through their defence to score in the corner and level at 10-10.

Stewartry gave away a further four penalties before half-time which were all missed.

The Blacks made a number of changes at the break but found themselves under pressure. However, stout defence held strong. Ten minutes into the half Cammy Fenwick saw his penalty rebound off the post, and minutes later Stewartry were reduced to 14 men when Steven Blair was yellow carded. Fenwick found his kicking boots and Stewartry went ahead for the first time with a fine penalty kick. On the hour, standoff Craig Mosey intercepted a pass in his own half, running clear for Stewartry’s third score, Fenwick adding the extra points.

Stewartry were now in control and from a lineout win Robert Wallace broke through to the Cumbernauld 22, winning a penalty for not realeasing. Quickly taken, Stewartry were in for a fourth try from player coach John Muir, his third of the season. Fenwick added the conversion. Stewartry continued to give penalties away, allowing Cumbernauld the chance to score another converted try near the end.

The win keeps Stewartry in third place behind leaders Annan and Lenzie, with the Blacks on 16 points.

Stewartry: J Muir, R Wallace, C Fenwick, Danny Boyd, A Kerr, C Mosey, Derek Boyd, T Cannon, D Burton (captain), I McMorran, L Henderson, S Blair, S McCulloch, R Porteous, P Swalwell, K McMinn, J Farquhar, J Jamieson. Reps: A Cairnie, C Davidson.

This weekend Stewartry are at home to Clydebank with a 3pm kick-off to be followed by a party to celebrate 20 years since the clubhouse opened. So come along watch the match and enjoy the post-match barbecue with an outside bar, good food and musical entertainment all for the usual entry money at the gate £3. Next week’s 2nd xv game against Cambuslang has been shifted to December 22.

John Low