Blacks make it three in a row

Fingland runs at the Strathendrick defence, making several yards before being brought down. SGGY 240214 4
Fingland runs at the Strathendrick defence, making several yards before being brought down. SGGY 240214 4
Share this article

Stewartry 42, Strathendrick 3

Stewartry made it three league wins in a row and scored 40-plus points for a third time with seven tries in the process.

Strathendrick kicked off but Stewartry started well, winning a penalty from the kick-off but losing the resultant lineout.

John Fingland, taking a Strathendrick kick ahead, made 30 metres back to the halfway line. Stewartry won the first scrum, giving Scott Carson the chance to charge down the wing.

A number of penalties against Stewartry saw Strathendrick miss a kick at the posts in nine minutes. Porteous and Fingland took the game back to the Strathendrick 22.

From a Stewartry scrum win, John Muir put John Fingland in for the opening try, Craig Mosey adding the conversion.

From the restart, Carson caught the ball and again made good progress over the halfway line. In 22 minutes Mosey added a penalty for a 10-0 lead.

Strathendrick found their second wind, putting pressure on Stewartry deep into the 22. Their reward was a penalty to keep them in touch.

This fired Stewartry up and from the kick-off Armstrong, Broll and Burton were driving into the Strathendrick 22. A penalty to touch was their reward but it was knocked on at the lineout. Stewartry won the resultant scrum and drove over the line for Ian Fenwick to touch down.

Just before half-time there was a rare sight as Stewartry props Broll and Cannon and Broll again combined in a stylish passing move but they didn’t score and at half-time it was 15-3.

From the kick-off, Broll stole the ball from the Strathendrick catcher and set Cannon away but the play again ended in a knock-on.

With 50 minutes gone, Cammy Fenwick broke down the right to score Stewartry’s third try. Two minutes later it was game over when, from the best passing move of the day involving Kerr, Boyd, Muir, Cammy Fenwick and Muir again, fullback Fingland went in for his second and Stewartry’s fourth try and a bonus point.

Rory Porteous and Martin Smith kept the pressure on before replacement Callum Ferguson, making his home debut after a long-term injury, jinked his way through for a fine individual try.

Five minutes later Armstrong set up Ian Fenwick for his second try. It was Armstrong who picked up in his 22 and was not caught until he reached the Strathendrick 22 where he recycled the ball to Cammy Fenwick who equalled his brother’s try scoring efforts. Mosey added the conversion for a record 42-3 win over Strathendrick in a fine all-round performance.

Stewartry: J Fingland, S Carson, Danny Boyd, J Muir, TJ McCarney, C Mosey, J Picken, M McCulloch, D Burton, T Cannon, M Smith, J Armstrong, R Porteous, C Fenwick, I Fenwick (captain), S Broll, C Ferguson, D Kerr.

This week Stewartry are at home again to McLaren, one place above them in the league. A Blacks win would put them three points ahead. Kick-off 3pm.

On Sunday, Stewartry Sirens are at home to Glasgow University in their second play-off match, their only home game of the three. Kick-off 2pm.