Blacks lose out on the road

McLaren 30, Stewartry 18

The RBS West League Division Two game against Callander-based McLaren was played at Dunblane on Saturday because of ground works at the home pitch.

With only two minutes gone Stewartry gave away a penalty for going over the top at a ruck. McLaren took a quick tap, found space up the right wing and scored, though the conversion missed.

At the restart McLaren were quick to get back into Stewartry territory but gave away a penalty for offside. The kick allowed the Blacks to get up to the home 22 for a lineout. They secured the ball and again McLaren gave away a penalty, allowing Mosey to score points.

With eight minutes on the clock McLaren were penalised for coming into the ruck from the side giving the Blacks another attcking opportunity with a lineout on the home 22. But a slow Stewartry throw in gave the home side a free kick which took them back inside the Blacks’ 22. Stewartry gave away another penalty allowing McLaren to slot three more points.

The restart did not go 10 metres so it was a scrum on halfway. Stewartry got the heel but gave away yet another penalty which allowed McLaren to break up the right deep into the 22 but they were stopped short of the line.

Then the home team were offside again, giving the Blacks a penalty. Taking ball from the lineout, Mosey broke forward, passing to Riddick who got up to the home 22.

However, again Stewartry infringed, which saw McLaren back in the Blacks’ half. Winning a turnover, the home team sent the ball to their left wing, running through poor Stewartry defence to score an unconverted try.

From the restart, McLaren moved the ball out right and with forward pressure drove over the Blacks’ line for a converted score.

Halfway through the first period, the Blacks managed to slot a kick between the posts for three points.

Just before the break Stewartry got another penalty on the McLaren 22 after a home player was yellow carded. Opting for a five-metre lineout, the Blacks took possession and pushed toward the McLaren line. Smith picked up from the ruck and went over to score but the try was disallowed because the referee ruled the ball was held up.

Starting the second period, McCulloch replaced Broll. In the first 10 minutes Stewartry were unable to take advantage of McLaren being down to 14 men. After four scrums in their own half, the Blacks put the ball out wide to McCarney who charged up the left wing but he was stopped on the home 22.

McLaren got a turnover but gave away another penalty for offside. Opting for a lineout, the Stewartry forwards picked up and drove. Good pressure allowed Porteous to touch down for the Blacks’ first try. The conversion missed.

Morton replaced Kerr. Fifteen minutes into the second period McLaren got the heel in a scrum just inside the Blacks’ half and ran up the right wing for an unconverted try.

Stewartry got another penalty in McLaren territory and took the ball in the lineout. The home side worked a turnover and attacked up the right wing but their last pass was forward.

In the scrum McLaren got the heel. Shifting the ball quickly out left they ran in for try number four, though the conversion was wide.

With 10 minutes left Stewartry got a penalty inside the home 22. In the lineout McMinn secured ball and the forwards drove toward the McLaren line. Two metres out the maul collapsed and Kerr picked up to drive in low for a try which Mosey converted.

The Blacks kept up the pressure. Moving toward the home line in the last minute a Stewartry pass was intercepted but McLaren knocked on in the last move of the game.

Stewartry squad: K Riddick, T J McCarney, R Austin, C Fenwick, J Farquhar, C Mosey, J Picken, M Smith, D Burton, S Broll, K McMinn, R Porteous, H Sainsbury, J Kerr, I Fenwick (captain), M McCulloch, A Morton, J Fingland, S Carson.