Blacks edged out by visitors

Stewartry 18, Carrick 28

From a Carrick kickoff, Stewartry caught the ball and attacked immediately but knocked on. At the scrum on halfway Carrick got the heel and charged up the right but were stopped on the Blacks’ 22.

In another scrum, the visitors again got the heel and made ground. Then the Blacks were penalised for coming into the ruck from the side. Carrick opted for a scrum. Taking possession they ran out wide to score an unconverted try in the seventh minute.

From the restart another Carrick attack took them up to the Stewartry 22 but the ball went into touch. The visitors made more ground getting back up to the Blacks’ 22 but good defence put Carrick into touch.

With 15 minutes gone, securing the ball in the lineout Carrick sent it out to their left winger who ran in to score another unconverted try.

Stewartry caught the restart kick and charged up the left wing into Carrick territory but were stopped on the visitors’ 22.

Carrick managed a turnover and ran into space up the middle of the pitch deep into the home 22 but were stopped a metre short of the Blacks’ line. Recycling the ball quickly Carrick put it over to their right winger who went in for a third unconverted try.

The Blacks took the ball inside the visitors’ 22 and got a penalty when Carrick were offside. Farquhar took a quick tap and passed to Kerr who got over for Stewartry’s first try, but the conversion missed.

From a scrum the visitors took possession again, this time sending the ball left but Fingland made a try-saving tackle. The visitors spoiled at the ensuing scrum, catching the Blacks offside and giving them an easy three points.

Eight minutes from the half-time whistle, Stewartry were back inside the Carrick 22 and won a penalty. Taking a quick tap before Carrick were back 10 metres gave Stewartry another penalty, allowing Mosey to kick three points.

Just before the break the Blacks got a penalty on their own 22. Securing the ball at the lineout it went wide to McCarney who ran up the left wing but he was stopped on the Carrick 22. The visitors were caught offside again but the Blacks penalty kick went wide with Carrick leading 18-11 at half time.

The early stages of the second period saw both sides giving away more penalties but none added to the scoreline. Carrick got a free kick after a Stewartry throw in at a lineout 25 metres out not straight. The visitors then got a scrum and the heel. They drove towards the home line but were stopped two metres short.

Stewartry won a turnover and put the ball to Mosey who saw space in the middle of the field and made it up to halfway before being pushed into touch. From the lineout the Blacks took possession and sent the ball to the backs but a pass was intercepted by a Carrick player who ran 50 metres to score a converted try under the posts.

Fifteen minutes into the second half Sainsbury replaced Cammy Fenwick.

On the half hour Carrick were given a penalty for a high tackle, giving them a lineout on halfway. Stewartry took the ball sending it out to McCarney who ran up the left wing. Passing to Ian Fenwick the Blacks got deep into the Carrick 22. Great support play by McMinn took the Blacks nearer and he passed the ball to Kerr who scurried in for his second try, which Mosey converted.

With seven minutes left McCulloch replaced Broll. Cammy Fenwick went back on in place of Danny Boyd and David Kerr replaced McCarney.

Getting back into the Carrick 22 Stewartry got another penalty. Taking a quick tap kick John Kerr caught Carrick out for not being back 10 metres. The Blacks opted for a five-metre lineout but the ball went forward.

Stewartry: J Fingland, J Farquhar, R Austin, Danny Boyd, T J McCarney, C Mosey, J Picken, M Smith, D Thomson, S Broll, K McMinn, R Porteous, C Fenwick, J Kerr, I Fenwick (captain), M McCulloch, S Carson, D Kerr, J MUir, H Sainsbury.