All of Saturday’s South Scene action

Results from 14th April, 2012

League Cup semi-final

Dalbeattie Star 3, Heston Rovers 1

South of Scotland League

Crichton 2, Mid-Annandale 1

Newton Stewart 11, Fleet Star 0

Nithsdale Wanderers 0, Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

St Cuthbert Wanderers 7, Creetown 1

Threave Rovers 2, Stranraer 2

Dalbeattie Star received a double boost last Saturday when they made it through to the final of the League Cup by beating Heston Rovers by three goals to one in a closely contested match when at the same time their rivals for the league championship, Threave Rovers were dropping points at Meadow Park in a two all draw with Stranraer. Craig Ferguson put Star into the lead after eleven minutes play with Lewis Sloan firing home from a Scott Milligan cross two minutes later to give the home side a two goal cushion which they held into the break. On the hour mark Heston were reduced to ten men when Craig Adamson was red carded and five minutes later a Scott Milligan header put Star three ahead. Heston kept their heads up and a minute from time they were rewarded with a consolation goal when Jonathon Boyd scored with a twenty five yard drive to complete the scoring. Dalbeattie Star will now play Stewartry neighbours St Cuthbert Wanderers in this seasons League Cup final.

At Meadow Park Threave and Stranraer shared four goals with the home side playing the last half hour with ten men after James Baty was sent off. Ryan Dawson gave the Stair Park side the lead after twenty three minutes with Andrew Donely squaring the match seven minutes later. Two minutes before the break Richard Jones restored the visitors lead but in the second half ten man Threave rallied and Martin Bell scored the equaliser in the sixty sixth minute to give the home side a share of the points. This leaves Threave Rovers five points ahead of nearest challengers Dalbeattie Star who have two games in hand and therefore puts the destination of this seasons championship back into their hands.

There was a shortage of goals at Lorimer Park, Sanquhar where Nithsdale Wanderers held Wigtown and Bladnoch to a scoreless draw. The best chances to score fell to the visitors with Nigel Marshall coming close on a couple of occasions but failing to find the net. However there was no such shortage at Blairmount Park where Newton Stewart ran riot against Fleet Star and found themselves six goals up by the break. A further five in the second period of play saw the Creesiders record their highest goals tally for many seasons. Five players, Stewart Taylor, Calum Dunn, Andrew McEwan, Stevie Ross and Dean Fyfe scored two goals each with the other coming from the foot of visiting keeper Dale Ashby when he attempted to clear a Stevie Beggs corner kick.

There was also no shortage of goals at St Marys Park where St Cuthbert Wanderers scored seven against bottom placed Creetown who could only find one in reply. The home side were three goals to the good by the break with Paul McClymont opening the scoring in the twelfth minute before going off injured. Player/Coach Adrian Stovell added another three minutes later and Colin Carnochan scored goal number three in the twentieth minute. On the hour mark Stuart Cluckie scored goal number four with Carnochan adding his second and his sides fifth five minutes later. Within a further five minutes Craig Rudd added number six before Scott Mazza pulled one back for the visitors. Sixteen year old Chris Seton put Saints in seventh heaven in the final minute of the match as he and fifteen year old Michael Houston who had come on for the injured McClymont made their South debuts having moved up from the Saints youth squad.

Crichton recorded a good two goals to one victory over Mid-Annandale at Hospital Park with Daniel Thom opening the scoring five minutes before the half time whistle to give the home side a slender advantage at the break. Two minutes after the re-start Mark Leighfield was brought down in the box and Darren Johnstone made no mistake from the spot to double Crichtons lead. On the hour mark the visitors drew a goal back for Mids when Michael Henderson scored with a thirty yards free kick to end the scoring in this contest with Crichton claiming three valuable points.