3G pitches beat the weather

Crichton score an own goal against Newton Stewart
Crichton score an own goal against Newton Stewart
Share this article

The 3G pitches used by South of Scotland clubs are paying huge dividends with the league matches scheduled to be played on all three going ahead and finishing.

The match on the grass park at Sanquhar between Nithsdale Wanderers and Fleet Star started but had to be abandoned after only 15 minutes due to the pitch becoming waterlogged. There was no scoring in this match when the referee decided to call it a day.

The South Regional Cup first round tie due to be played at Maxwelltown High School between Lochar Thistle and Wigtown and Bladnoch was called off for the second Saturday in succession and will be rescheduled to be played this Saturday as this tournament’s matches take preference over any of the South competitions.

St Cuthbert Wanderers finished their match at St Mary’s Park against Heston Rovers, although the proceedings on the 3G pitch had to be stopped for a 15-minute spell due to the adverse weather conditions prevailing at that time.

A goal in each half from striker Craig Rudd secured the points for the home side, with Craig Adamson scoring a consolation goal for Heston three minutes from time.

Mid-Annandale continued their good run of form with a 4-2 victory over Abbey Vale at Galabank.

Grant Schooler opened the scoring for the home side in the 36th minute, with Nathan Muir doubling the scoreline just on the half-time whistle. Paul Sibbering pulled a goal back for Vale in the 76th minute but a double from Sean Dunbar halted the fightback, although Paul Neil did score a second for the visitors to reduce the deficit.

Newton Stewart went ahead against Crichton after only six minutes when a John Kiltie free kick was deflected into the net by a defender. A minute from the half-time whistle a great solo run by Liam Muir produced a second to give the home side a comfortable lead at the interval.

Eight minutes after the restart a Johnny Fisher effort took a slight deflection to deceive the visiting keeper for goal number three and, on the hour mark, Crichton pulled a goal back when Russell Thomson headed home from a free kick. With 13 minutes left to play Calum Dunn found the net for the fourth goal and right on the final whistle substitute Jason Gallacher headed home a John Kiltie cross as Newton Stewart went nap to record their first competitive victory on their new playing surface.

Results from Saturday, November 2

South of Scotland League

Mid-Annandale 4 Abbey Vale 2

Newton Stewart 5 Crichton 1

Nithsdale Wanderers 0 Fleet Star 0 – Match abandoned

St Cuthbert Wanderers 2 Heston Rovers 1

South Regional Challenge Cup – First Round

Lochar Thistle v Wigtown and Bladnoch – match postponed