Stranraer Sheriff Court Files

THE latest from the court on April 19th and 20th 2010.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 15th April 2010, 11:53 am

A DRUNK woman who called police officers "bitches" after calling them out in the middle of the night to come to her aid was fined 280 at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Monday.

June Westran, 45, of Fineview Crescent, Glenluce, admitted causing a breach of the peace.

Fiscal Nadine Dormer said police had received a call for assistance from an "incoherent" woman at about 2.15am.

Sign up to our daily The Galloway Gazette Today newsletter

When officers went to Glenluce see what the problem was, the accused began shouting and swearing at them.

Defence lawyer Paul Feeney said that Westran "could not explain" why she had called the police.

A TEENAGER who smashed the glass door of a hotel in Newton Stewart was ordered to pay compensation at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Marc Cuthbertson, of 63 Glebe Crescent, admitted repeatedly kicking the glass door of the Galloway Arms on February 28.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb ordered him to pay 244.40 for the damage done and also fined him 55.60.

AN AYRSHIRE man who pled not guilty to committing a breach of the peace in a Newton Stewart solicitor's office will go on trial in August.

James Gillon, 43, of 37 Forglen Road, Ayr, denies placing Laura Hawthorn, Helena Fox and Joe Baxter in a state of fear and alarm at the offices of AB & A Matthews on November 6 last year.

A DUMFRIES pensioner who drove down the middle of Newton Stewart when twice over the drink driving limit was disqualified for two years at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Tuesday.

Ian Maxwell, 71, was stopped by police in Albert Street after they had followed him through Arthur Street, Victoria Street and Princes Street.

He was unable to give a breath sample due to a lung condition but a blood sample revealed an reading of 195 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, the limit being 80.

He was also fined 400.

A TRIAL date of August 11 was set for a Garlieston man who denies assault.

Frazer Scott, of 14 Forteviot Gardens, appeared at Stranraer Court on Monday to plead not guilty to assaulting David Drysdale by punching him and kicking him to his injury at the Central Bar, Newton Stewart, on December 27th last year.

A GLENLUCE teenager who damaged and stole from public facilities in two Wigtownshire villages was jailed by Sheriff Kenneth Robb at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Tuesday.

Fraser Irvine, 19, of 5 Fellview Crescent, admitted repeatedly kicking the door and stealing cans of paint from Glenluce Village Hall on July 17 last year. He also admitted breaking into Portpatrick Village Hall between February 28 and March 1 and stealing a DVD player, a CD player and a holdall.

Irvine also pled guilty to breaching bail conditions on February 27.

Sentencing, Sheriff Kenneth Robb told him: "People have made a lot of effort to have these facilities available for their communities and you come along and destroy them."

Irvine was given a combined sentence of eight months and 80 days.

A CASTLE Kennedy woman who admitted two charges of defrauding the Department of Works and Pensions had her sentence deferred for reports at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Monday.

Chantelle Allanson, 31, of 12 Douglas Road, pled guilty to, on June 28, 2006, failing to inform the department of a change in her circumstances which affected her entitlement to benefit, and obtaining 2,562.83 in income support. She also admitted obtaining housing benefit of 1,394.86 and council tax benefit of 500.19 on November 19, 2007.

Sentencing will be on May 4.

AN Irishman who caused havoc with a golf buggy around Stranraer golf course in March was fined a total of 800 and banned from driving in the UK for six months at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Myles Moorhouse, 20, of Bray in the Republic of Ireland, admitted causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the course and 1,000 of damage to the buggy after he and a friend decided to go for a round of golf while waiting for the ferry home.

Moorhouse also admitted taking a van without the owners permission, driving without a licence or insurance and giving a false name when arrested.

He had been kept in custody since the incident. His solicitor Paul Feeney referred to the affair as "immature stupidity".

A MAN who drove when twice over the limit was fined 400 and disqualified from driving for 30 months at the court in Stranraer on Monday.

Sixty-one-year old Alan Kevan, of 13 Antrim Avenue, Stranraer, appeared from custody to plead guilty to driving in the town's Harbour Street with 92 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath when the limit is 35 last Friday.

Fiscal Nadine Dormer said the police had received a call that afternoon about Kevan's driving.

Agent Paul Feeney said his clientwas having difficulties in life and, that day, had consumed a bottle of sherry "because it was in the house". He then made the decision to drive, as he had arranged to pick up his wife from her shopping trip and did not want to disappoint her.

A MAN who ran away from police officers after then had told him to remain with them was fined 600 by Sheriff Kenneth Robb at the court in Stranraer on Monday.

Shaun Crosbie, of Hanover Street, Stranraer, appeared from custody to admit causing a breach of the peace and trying to pervert the course of justice and breaking bail conditions on April 9.

Fiscal Nadine Dormer told the court that the police had been called to a disturbance a bar in the town and had observed Crosbie leaving the bar. They asked him to stay with them but soon he became agitated and ran away. He was traced to Hanover Lane by police, who by then had realised Crosbie had run off because he was breaking his bail conditons.

Sheriff Robb warned him that he could not expect to retain his liberty if he continued to ignore court orders.

A PENSIONER who pulled out of a junction in front of a line of cars, which included a police car, was fined 200 and had his licence endorsed with four penalty points at court this week.

Seventy-five-year old Keith Woodhouse, of 2 Cutreoch, Stranraer, admitted pulling out on to the A77 from the Cutreoch Road junction on November 11 last year causing another vehicle to take evasive action.

Fiscal Nadine Dormer said that Woodhouse's car had exited the junction into the path of a car, causing the driver to brake sharply. That car was being followed by a police car.

Defending, agent Paul Feeney said that his client had "misjudged" the junction that day and now "took more care."

STEALING a gift set and a box of condoms worth 40 from Boots in Stranraer landed the culprit with a fine of 450 at Stranraer Sheriff Court this week.

Thirty-year-old Simon Stewart, 26 Cairnview Crescent, stole the goods on November 25 last year. When he was stopped by police he admitted being caught "bang to rights".

He also admitted possession of drugs at Stranraer Police Station the same day.

His solicitor Murray Robertson said that the accused had "a significant problem" with drugs.