Stranraer Sheriff Court files

ALL the latest from Stranraer Sheriff Court.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 31st March 2011, 10:43 am

Sentence deferred

SENTENCE was deferred for reports by Sheriff Fiona Tait on a Garlieston man who admitted behaving in a threatening manner by pouring a kettle of hot water over his head in a house in the village in January.

Scott Bradley, Flat 4, Cowgate, also admitted refusing to leave the house at 15 Randolf Crescent. He also admitted, between December 24 and 30 and again between December 27 and 29, breaking into a garden shed in South Crescent, Garlieston, and stealing a quantity of tools on both occasions. The accused will return to court on April 26.

Man stole fake blood

A GIRVAN man who stole goods worth £30 from a supermarket in Stranraer will return to the town’s court for sentencing in April.

Douglas Livingston, 32, admitted stealing a quantity of magazines, a packet of Halloween balloons, fake blood and a packet of biscuits from Tesco’s on October 11.

He also pled guilty to being found in possession of heroin at Stranraer Police Station the same day.

His case will be called again on April 12.

False accusation

SENTENCE was deferred until May at Stranraer Court on Tuesday on a man who admitted wasting police time in January this year.

Forty-four-year-old Richard Davis, 7A Laurel Grove, Stranraer, appeared at the court to plead guilty to falsely representing to police officers at Stranraer Police Station that he had been punched and robbed of his medication by complete strangers.

Bragger hit three cars

A LEARNER driver who bragged to her friends about her car handling skills was banned from driving for 18 months after hitting three parked cars in Whithorn when trying to execute a handbrake turn.

Bobbie Furfey of 4 Forteviot Gardens, Garlieston, appeared at Stranraer Sheriff Court for sentencing on Tuesday after admitting driving in George Street, Whithorn on January 29 without a qualified driver or displaying ‘L’ plates.

The 19 year-old also admitted driving without insurance, failing to give her name and address at the scene of an accident and failing to give two specimens of breath for analysis at Newton Stewart Police Station.

Procurator fiscal depute Kay Christie said that witnesses had heard the noise of the accident that night and called the police.

Officers then traced the accused to the home of one of the other people who were with her that night in the car and she subsequently failed a roadside breath test.

The accused’s solicitor, Paul Feeney said his client has acted with “spectacular stupidity”.

Sheriff Fiona Tait admonished Furfey on the first charge, but, in addition to the ban, put her on probation for 12 months and ordered her to undertake 80 hours of community service.

Drug driver

Drug driving admitted

A fifty year-old Stranraer man was disqualified from driving for 18 months at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Monday after admitting driving when under the influence of drugs.

Derek Barry, of 19C Park House, Stranraer, pled guilty to driving a car in Bridge Street on October 5 when unfit to do so.

Deputy Procurator Fiscal Kay Christie told the court that witnesses who saw the accused slumped over the wheel of his car that night were concerned he was unwell and contacted the police. Officers arrived and, after several attempts, finally managed to arouse the accused.

They noticed his speech was slow and deliberate and, when asked to get out of the car, he unsteady on his feet.

Defending, agent Paul Feeney said that Barry had been prescribed Diazepam for a bad back and had taken more pills than he should have to get a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately, his partner had picked that moment to ask for a lift into the town to go to the cashline.

Sheriff Fiona Tait also fined the accused £450.

Death threat

A GLENLUCE man appeared in the dock of Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday to admit threatening to kill the landlord of a hotel he set fire to on December 27 last year.

Iain Brown, 41, of Fineview Crescent, pled guilty to shouting, swearing, challenging others to fight, threatening landlord Gary Mason, setting fire to The Crown Hotel, Glenluce, and committing breach of the peace. Sheriff Fiona Tait adjourned sentencing until April 26 for reports.