Stranraer Sheriff Court

A teenager who denied damaging the pitch at Blairmount Park in Newton Stewart by doing wheelies on it last summer will go on trial next month.

Liam Hamilton, aged 19, formerly of Bank Street, Wigtown, but now living in Carluke, appeared at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Monday to plead not guilty to the charges and a trial date of January 16 was set.

AN 18-year-old Minnigaff youth was fined £220 by Sheriff Kenneth Robb at the court in Stranraer on Monday after he admitted assaulting a 15-year-old boy.

Andrew McVittie, 8 Masonfield Drive, Minnigaff, pled guilty to assaulting the youth in Goods Lane on August 24 this year by placing him in a headlock, throwing him to the ground and repeatedly kicking him on the head and body to his injury.

Procurator Fiscal Depute Lindsay Spence told the court that there had been a strained relationship between the parties leading up to the assault after comments had been posted on a social networking site.

The incident started when the complainer had allegedly thrown a bottle at the accused and McVittie had retaliated.

Passers-by intervened and the police were contacted. The complainer suffered cuts and swelling to his face.

Defending, agent Ian Milligan said the parties could not have picked more public place than a supermarket car park for their disagreement. He said that the ill will was over comments the complainer had made about the accused’s father. He told the court that the complainer had come towards McVillte and thrown a bottle. The accused’s girlfriend had then been pushed out of the way and fell over a wall. As she was heavily pregnant at the time McVittie had “lost it”, said Mr Milligan.

The two parties have since sorted out their differences, he added.

Sentence was deferred for six months on a young Whithorn woman to see if she could be of good behaviour after she admitted two assault charges.

Jill Williams, aged 27, of 18 Kings Road, Whithorn, pled guilty at an earlier diet to assaulting Rachel Maginess in The Central Bar, Newton Stewart, on February 19 when pushing her and seizing her by the hair. She also admitted assaulting Francis McCreadie in Church Lane the same night by repeatedly striking him on the head.

Defending, solicitor Margo Nichol said there had been a degree of animosity between the parties due to a previous relationship. She added that on this occasion there had been provocation and with alcohol thrown into the mix it quickly became a flashpoint situation.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb deferred sentence until June 19, 2012.

A Whithorn man was jailed for eight months by Sheriff Kenneth Robb after he was found guilty of supplying drugs after a trial.

Thirty-one-year-old Darren Carnochan, 121-123 George Street, Whithorn, returned for sentencing to the sheriff court on Tuesday after being convicted of supplying cannabis resin in Glenorchard, Stranraer, in March this year.

He was also found guilty of being in possession of valium at Stranraer Police Station on April 1.

A Whithorn man who continued to use his mobile phone after telling his insurance company it was beyond repair was fined £270 after admitting his deception at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Stephen Kennedy, aged 23, of 34 St John Street, pled guilty to pretending to Lifestyle Services Group, Crewe, that his Nokia N8 mobile phone was destroyed beyond repair and then tried to obtain a new phone to the value of £269.99 by fraud.

Kennedy’s solicitor Ian Milligan described his client’s actions as a “farcical piece of behaviour”. The phone had been sent away to be repaired but according to the accused it was returned in the same condition. Kennedy then claimed to insurers that it was beyond repair, but as he continued to use it he was quickly rumbled by the insurance company.

Fining Kennedy £270, Sheriff Kenneth Robb said he found his behaviour “stupid rather than amusing.”

A sheriff held back from a prison sentence for a Stranraer man after a positive letter from his employers showed that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Twenty-three-year-old Kevin Knox, Hampton Court, Agnew Crescent, stood in the dock on Tuesday awaiting sentence after admitting shouting, swearing, challenging others to a fight and struggling with three police officers in George Street, Stranraer, on November 19.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb said that his initial thoughts were to stick Knox away over the Christmas and New Year period so he wouldn’t cause any more hassle, but a supportive letter from the Furniture Project had showed “positive elements” so instead, Sheriff Robb decided to defer sentence until April to see if Knox could keep out of trouble.

A teenager who admitted punching a young girl on the face found being caught up in the criminal justice system a “salutary experience”, according to his solicitor.

Thomas Millington, aged 18, of East Cairngaan Cottages, Drummore, appeared for sentencing after admitting punching Iona McMillan on the face to her injury in Dalrymple Street, on October 9.

Defending, agent Margo Nichol told the court that the accused was a student at college in Ayr and he had hopes to go to university. She told the court that Millington and his then girlfriend Miss McMillan had been at a party. He had been drinking and was talking to another girl, something that Miss McMillan, didn’t like. An altercation between them followed and he punched her.

Sentencing, Sheriff Kenneth Robb said he could not ignore what happened before fining the accused £150, adding: “Goodness knows why you punched her in the face like that.”

A Stranraer man appeared from custody at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Monday to plead guilty to refusing to give a breath test after police suspected he had been under the influence of drink or drugs while driving.

Sixty-five-year-old Alan McKnight, 32 Belmont Road, was stopped in Belmont Road last Friday night by police but failed to co-operate with their request for a breath test. He also failed to give two specimens of breath at Stranraer Police Station the same night. He also admitted driving without a test certificate or the appropriate licence.

McKnight will be sentenced on January 10 and he was also banned from driving in the interim.

Sentence was deferred until January on a Stranraer man who threatened to strangle himself at his home address last Sunday.

Simon Cluckie, aged 28, appeared from custody at the sheriff court in Stranraer to admit behaving in an abusive manner when shouting and swearing and threatening to strangle himself.

CS gas spray had to be deployed by police officers at the weekend to calm a Stranraer man who was resisting arrest.

Stuart Macdonald, aged 36, of 10 Ardnyswell Lane, appeared from custody to admit struggling violently with two police officers who were trying to handcuff him.

The accused will be sentenced on January 17 after Sheriff Kenneth Robb called for reports.

A Minnigaff teenager appeared from custody at the Sheriff Court in Stranraer on Monday morning after an incident at a house in the town last weekend.

Samantha Ferguson, aged 18, of 4 Holmpark Drive, Minnigaff, admitted behaving in an abusive manner by shouting , arguing and cutting her arm with a sharp implement. She also pled guilty to destroying someone else’s property by throwing and smashing a glass shelf at 10 Bruce Place, Minnigaff.

Sentencing will take place on January 17.