Stranraer Sheriff Court

A MAN who went on the rampage in his ex-girlfriend’s home after an Old Firm game was ordered to complete a community pay back order of two years by Sheriff Leslie at the court in Stranraer on Tuesday.

Garrie Kennedy, aged 36, 15 Seaview, Wigtown, admitted assaulting Zara Munro and smashing a television set at her home, 64 Seaview, on April 24 this year.

Fiscal Lyndsay Hunter said that the accused had been watching the Celtic Rangers game that afternoon when he and Ms Munro had fallen out by text message. He had then gone round to her home and “things kicked off” after he assaulted the complainer by grabbing her head.

Sheriff Leslie commented that this was an example of the domestic violence that is associated with Old Firm games.

A Minnigaff man will go on trial on July 20 after he appeared at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Monday to plead not guilty to committing breach of the peace after an incident involving his daughter.

Colin Skilling, aged 41, from McGregor Drive, has denied taking hold of his daughter by the arm and refusing to let go, struggling with her, driving after his daughter and others at speed in an attempt to speak to them causing the wheels of the car to spin. The accused also denied attempting to strike Brian Smith. The alleged incident happened on March 6 in Queen Street, Goods Lane and Riverside Road, Newton Stewart.

UPTURNING furniture after an argument with his partner landed a Newton Stewart man with a community pay back order of 18 months at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Graham McCready, 22, of 3 Mansfield Place admitted shouting, swearing and throwing household items around at his home on May 8. He also admitted breaking a pane of glass in a door there and having cannabis on him.

The court heard that the accused and his partner had a party for family and friends at their house but an argument had broken out between them and he had “grabbed her”.

Sentencing, Sheriff Leslie told the accused he would also have to carry out 50 hours community service work.

A MINNIGAFF man who denies trying to set fire to his neighbours home will go on trial on November 10.

Alexander McCleary, aged 64, 6 Lady Galloway Court, appeared in Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday to deny setting fire to pieces of paper and attempting to place them in the letter box of 5 Lady Galloway Court on March 28. He also denied uttering threats to Dorothy Sneddon the occupant there. He also plead not guilty to making derogatory remarks in the back of a police vehicle en route to Newton Stewart Police Station and breaking bail conditions on May 17 when he allegedly swore at Dorothy Sneddon.

A TRIAL date of October 24 was arranged for a woman who appeared from custody on Monday at the sheriff court in Stranraer to deny pestering the police when drunk.

Catherine Watkins, 10 McGregor Drive, Minnigaff, pled not guilty to repeatedly making emergency calls to the police on June 8 and 9 whilst under the influence of alcohol.

She is also accused of behaving in a threatening manner last weekend when shouting, swearing and repeatedly striking a door at her home.

A twenty-two year old man who broke a court order by texting his former girlfriend was fined £400 at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Robert Kennedy, 16 St Ninian’s Crescent, Whithorn, appeared from custody to admit contacting Jillian McIlwraith by text message on June 19 when he had been ordered not to approach or contact her in any way.

Agent Ian Milligan, defending, said that the text had simply been declaration of affection and the accused had admitted to the police that he did not mean to sent the text.

A LOCHANS man was jailed for 14 months by Sheriff Leslie at Stranraer Court on Tuesday.

Forty-five year old Gordon Craig, 14 Cairn Terrace, admitted supplying heroin on October 10 and 11 in Cairnryan Road, Stranraer.

Procurator Fiscal Lyndsay Hunter told the court that the accused had been a passenger in a car that was stopped by police officers that day. They found the drugs in Craig’s pockets after carrying out a search.

Defending, agent Paul Feeney said that Craig had been bringing drugs back from Glasgow to pay off a debt after he became addicted himself.

A Stranraer man was ordered to pay a compensation order of £250 after phoning the police with false information.

Martin Todd, aged 27, of Windsor Terrace, admitted telephoning emergency services telling them that Thomas Phillips had taken a drugs overdose.

Fiscal Lyndsay Hunter said there had been a falling out between the two men and after receiving the accused’s call the police had arrived to find Mr Phillips fit and well. The cost of calling out the emergency services was £500, she added.

Defending, solicitor Michael Kilkerr said that this had been a “very poor decision” by Todd and one he now regrets.