South Scene by John McNaught

Safe hands from Creetown keeper Andrew Downie
Safe hands from Creetown keeper Andrew Downie

All the matches last Saturday in South football were in the first round of the Cree Lodge Cup which produced some very interesting results.

Lochar Thistle went nap against Abbey Vale by beating them by five goals to one at Dumfries High School. Lee Martin scored a hat-trick for the visitors with William Dempster adding a double to complete the rout. Lochar will now play a home tie against neighbours Heston Rovers in Round Two.

Creetown found some good form to see off the challenge of Upper Annandale at Castle Cary Park. Two first half goals from Ross Landers and Andrew Houston added to a second half strike from Ben Herries was enough to put the Ferrytoon side through to round two where they have been drawn at home to St Cuthbert Wanderers.

Crichton and Newton Stewart fought out a close battle at Hospital Park with the home side taking the lead after twenty two minutes play when striker Darren Johnstone was left unmarked to head into the net from a free kick to give Crichton a slender half time lead. Newton however equalised in the seventieth minute when striker Robert Middleton found the net through a ruck of players for a goal that sent the tie into extra time.

The same player gave the visitors the lead right on the extra time halfway whistle but with two minutes left to play after the Creesiders had missed several good goal-scoring chances, Jordan Muirhead levelled the match once again. In a penalty shoot out Crichton came out on top by three penalties to two which saw Newton lose out for the second time in as many weeks in the same fashion. Crichton new play an away tie against Edusport Academy in Round Two.

Dumfries YMCA managed to hold Fleet Star to a two all draw after ninety minutes with goals from Jordan Barker and Ryan Coates which saw the ever improving home side go two ahead. Kieran Kenny brought Star back into the match in the sixty fifth minute and with seven minutes left of the regulation ninety minutes Aaron Halliday scored an equaliser. In extra time Kenny again found the net which was enough to see the Gatehouse side progress in this particular competition.

League leaders Edusport Academy saw off Wigtown and Bladnoch at Galabank by two goals to nil while at Sanquhar Nithsdale Wanderers went through to round two by virtue of a three goals to nil victory over Mid-Annandale and have been drawn to play Fleet Star at home in the next round.

Results from Saturday 3rd October, 2015

Cree Lodge Cup – Round One

Abbey Vale 1 Lochar Thistle 5

Creetown 3 Upper Annandale 1

Crichton 1 Newton Stewart 1 – 2-2 AET – Crichton won 3-2 on penalties

Dumfries YMCA 2 Fleet Star 2 – Fleet Star won 3-2 AET

Edusport Academy 2 Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

Nithsdale Wanderers 3 Mid-Annandale 0