Smoking materials caused house fire

editorial image

A STRANRAER family had a lucky escape at the weekend when their house caught fire due to carelessly discarded smoking materials.

Fire crews were called to the Mount Vernon home at 10am on Sunday where they were faced with a two storey property with smoke issuing from the first floor. Two Firefighers wearing breathing apparatus used a hose jet to extinguish the fire and managed to confine the it to the main bedroom within the house but all of the upstairs was damaged by heat and smoke.

A spokesperson for the Fire and Rescue Service stated: “Thankfully, the family were unharmed and managed to escape but this incident could have been much worse. I would stress to everyone to ensure that when disposing of smoking materials they make sure that they are fully extinguished and placed in a non-combustible container and

disposed of safely.”

Jim Waugh, Head of Fire Safety urges anyone who does not have a working smoke alarm to contact the Service to arrange for a free Home Fire Safety Check, where a long life battery smoke alarm will be provided free of charge. For further information contact a Community Safety Officer on 01387 252222.