Small explosion smashes window

Share this article

An explosion inside the kitchen of a hotel in Dalry could have been a lot worse, said a fire chief this week.

At around 8.40pm on Monday, the explosion - thought to have been caused by a small gas leak and the use of the oven in the kitchen - blew out a window and smashed bottles and glasses.

Thankfully the chef was unhurt and the owners quickly evacuated the hotel.

Fire officers cordoned off the area and shut off all gas supplies then ventilated the building to make it safe.

Station Manager Shepherd said: “Thankfully there were no injuries and the damage was minor but the consequences of this type of incident could have been much worse.”