Man jailed after 100mph car chase

A sheriff jailed a man for a year and banned him from driving for six years at Stranraer Court on Monday after the accused’s attempt to outrun a police car resulted in a 100mph high-speed car chase from Stranraer to Whithorn on icy roads.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb described Shaun Gibson’s dangerous driving at speeds over 100mph on December 28 last year as so “horrendous” he had endangered the lives of not just himself and his passengers, but the officers chasing him and other road users.

Thirty-eight year old Gibson, from Port William, who had only moved to Wigtownshire shortly before the incident, admitted failing to stop for police when requested in Stranraer, turning his car towards the police vehicle, forcing the officer driving to take evasive action, driving dangerously on the A75 and A747 at 100mph, braking harshly, causing another police driver following to brake to avoid a collision, driving on the wrong side of the road, going through a red light and overtaking when it was unsafe to do so.

The court was shown video footage taken from the pursuing unmarked police car that was sent to chase Gibson, trailing his vehicle from Planing End along the A75 and onto the A747 through Port William, Monreith and Whithorn.

The 15 minutes of footage showed both vehicles travelling in excess of 100mph, with the accused driving onto the wrong side of the road approaching a junction and when turning onto the A747 with other vehicles visible near the junction.

The police car had to stop the hot pursuit when approaching Port William due to safety concerns but continued to track him into Whithorn. Gibson was traced later that day at Sorbie Tower.

In mitigation, Gibson’s agent Ian Milligan said that his client had been driving at that speed to get a passenger in his car to hospital in Dumfries after she had complained of abdominal pains. Being new to the area, he did not realising the Galloway Community Hospital was 300 yards away. Gibson travelled west then south, under instruction from his passenger, who thought the quickest way to get to Dumfries Infirmary was via Whithorn.

Sheriff Robb said anyone trying to get to a hospital would have welcomed the police arriving.