Go-ped legislation reminder

Police Scotland in Dumfries and Galloway Division have noticed that there are a number of primary school aged children who are using electric scooter/buzz boards on the public roads and footpaths.

Friday, 7th June 2013, 12:04 pm

Go-peds (also known as buzz boards) are basically skate boards propelled by engines on the rear. The Department of Transport advises that these are classed as motor vehicles and will be liable to Vehicle Excise Duty (tax).

There are two types of electric scooter/go-peds/mini moto, those which only reach a maximum speed of 5mph and those whose maximum speed is above that. The ones that have the lower speed are classed as toys and not a mechanically propelled vehicle.

The other ones which have a maximum speed of 15/20 mph are classed as a mechanically propelled vehicles and are subject to the same regulations as motor vehicles if used on public roads, i.e. they must be taxed and insured and the user must hold a licence and wear a helmet. It is likely that if insurance companies did provide such insurance it would be very expensive.

However it is unlikely that the vehicle would be road worthy i.e. the brakes, tyres etc would not be up to the standard required by law.

Crime Reduction Officer Constable Alison Bell from Stranraer Police Station said: “To be safe, it is best to remember that anyone using a petrol engine or electrically powered scooter on the road must have a driving licence and third party insurance.

“Mini motos are replicas of their real size counter parts but we are not aware of any that are road worthy, so they should not be used on the road or pavement.

“The only place any of these machines can be used is on private land with the landowner’s permission.”

If you see anyone that is driving a go-ped/buzz board/scooter/mini moto on the pavement then contact your local police station who will advise the youth and parents/ guardian of the safest use for these items.