Gas partnership ahead of festival season

Ahead of festival season kicking off in Galloway, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service has teamed up with Dumfries and Galloway Council, gas provider SGN, Sign Craft and event organisers to highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide at such events.

With music lovers and outdoor enthusiasts set to flock to the area over the coming months who will be camping and using gazebos, it is hoped increasing awareness of the threat will prevent tragedy striking.

Martin Taylor from Dumfries and Galloway Council Planning and Environmental Services said: “Over the last few years there has been an increase in the number of known cases of carbon monoxide poisoning within Dumfries and Galloway at festivals and other events.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and people are often unaware of the devastating effects it can have. We are all working in partnership to inform the public about the dangers associated with the use of gas stoves and barbeques in confined spaces.”

Watch Manager Jason Gardiner, the SFRS community safety officer in Dumfries and Galloway, said: “Lethal levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in enclosed or poorly ventilated areas, so when people are using disposable or portable barbecues it’s crucial they follow some basic and potentially life-saving precautions.”

In April a family of four camping near Parton was rushed to hospital suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning after an extinguished barbeque caused their tent to fill will the potentially deadly gas.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, dizziness, chest pains and nausea.