Galloway Wanderers taste cup magic

Stephen Hoddless of Galloway Wanderers is fouled by Stevenston Thistle's John Smith
Stephen Hoddless of Galloway Wanderers is fouled by Stevenston Thistle's John Smith

Sunday saw the start of the 2015/16 Scottish Sunday Amateur Trophy with 123 ties being played across Scotland.

One of those sides was Galloway Wanderers AFC. The side formed in 2014 were making their debut in the competition and were hosting Stevenston Thistle AFC from Ayrshire at Blairmount Park.

The game started off well for the Wanderers with them attacking the Thistle defence but four minutes in the away side managed to break away with a counter attack and the resulting corner was headed home by Maxwell Davidson.

The game became more even with both sides trying to find goals and it was the Wanderers who were to strike next.

Deryck Cluckie received the ball in the centre circle before firing a great ball for Kenny Allan who cut in from the left wing and Allan made no mistake, firing across the keeper and levelling the game at 1-1 after just 13 minutes.

But it was a quick bit of play by Stevenston and they found themselves back ahead. David McLeod playing a ball over the top of the home side’s defence to David Henry, who hammered the ball home on 15 minutes.

And 7 minutes later, the Wanderers conceded again. This time Henry found himself in space up the left wing, before breaking into the penalty area and cutting the ball back for Marc Farrell to strike the ball high into the top of the net. 22 minutes gone, Wanderers down 3-1.

The Wanderers searched for a goal that would bring them back into the game and with five minutes left in the first half they found it. Stephen Hoodless found himself being impeded and the referee instantly pointed to the spot. Up stepped Grant Fitzsimmons and he made no mistake.

The Wanderers started the second half as they did the first - pressing high and probing for a goal and on 52 minutes they were back on level terms. Captain Ross McCrindle playing the ball to Nigel Marshall who slotted the ball home to make it 3-3.

The game went quite quiet after the goal but the Galloway Wanderers found themselves with a free kick at the edge of the penalty area and substitute Kieran Jolly struck it home, with the help of the Stevenston wall to send the Wanderers into the Second Round.

Full-Time: Galloway Wanderers 4 - 3 Stevenston Thistle

Galloway Wanderers Team: Plunkett, McHallam (off for Drysdale - 29mins), Henry, Cluckie, Alexander, Forrester, Marshall (off for Mactier - 85mins), Hoodless, Fitzsimmons (off for Jolly - 65mins), McCrindle, Allan.

SUBS NOT USED:- Macdonald, Herries.

Selected Scottish Sunday Amateur Trophy scores

Bar12 3 - 0 L&N Academy

Forgewood 4 - 3 Real Ark

Dalry Turf 6 - 1 Dicks Hill

Galloway Wanderers 4 - 3 Stevenston Thistle

Redbridge Rovers 1 - 2 Bridge Arms

The Craft 10 - 0 Swan Inn