From Our Files

50 Years Ago – March 18th, 1961

Considerable trouble was recently caused by the surface water drain which runs down the left-hand side of the road leading to the Newton Stewart slaughterhouse. A blockage occurred at the top end of the drain and diverted the normal flow of water through Mr J Taylor’s garden. The blockage was successfully cleared but unfortunately a number of pipes further down the drain were broken and the water forced its way through the road surface at five or six points. The broken pipes had to be renewed. The drain crosses the road at the bend near the slaughterhouse and discharges into a ditch in the wood. The pipe was completely smashed and broken where it crossed the road, due to heavy traffic. It was essential to renew this part of the drain with an iron pipe.

The Creetown Silver Band, the offspring of the Ferry Flute Band of a century ago, celebrates it 80th birthday this year. It first appeared in the summer of 1881 and its unbroken record is a tribute the the men, who down the years, because of their love of music, kept the torch alight. It is not given to many such village organisations to weather the storm of two worlds wars but such has been the fabric of Creetown Band that even when their ranks were sorely depleted they have always found a way to carry on. These facts were revealed at the annual general meeting of the band which was held in Creetown on Monday night. Dr H Jarvis, president, presided and the report were submitted by Mr J McDavid, secretary and Mr R K Elliot, treasurer.

25 years Ago – March 22nd, 1986

Local soldiers from the Kings Own Scottish Borders are carrying out one of there toughest tasks in there careers – protecting police stations and building work contractors in Northern Ireland following IRA “death threats”. The IRA put out their warning to local contractors that they should not co-operate with the security forces in building new police stations or repairing those damaged in mortar or bomb attacks. . . “or else”.

BUT for the courage of his brother-in-law Stranraer man Paul Hughey (28) could well have died in a fire at his home on Saturday night. “The firemen said I would have been overcome by the smoke if I had stayed in there any longer” Mr Hughey told the ‘Gazette’.

“It was very frightening I lost my sense of direction in the thick black smoke and couldn’t find my way out, so I started shouting for help. My wife had knocked up my brother-in-law, John Mills, who lives in the next flat, and he came in to get me. He had to feel along the floor and feel where I was, then he dragged me outside. All had been well at his home 8 Ashwood Drive when Mr Hughey went to bed at 10.45 pm on Saturday, but around 11.30 he smelled smoke and got up to investigate he could see the light of the flames through the crack in the living-room door. He roused his wife Mary and got her outside with their two children.