Flat fire man escapes

Share this article

Fire crews were called to a blaze in a first-floor flat in Newton Stewart on Monday night.

Officers arrived at 5.30pm amid reports that one person was still inside the flat at Mansefield Place. Three engines from Newton Stewart and Gatehouse were called.

On arrival they found heavy smoke logging in the flat and in the access stairway, and the middle-aged male resident had escaped the premises prior to their arrival. He resident received treatment by the Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters entered the flat wearing breathing apparatus and extinguished the fire then ventilated the flat and checked for fire spread using a thermal imaging camera.

The cause of the fire was found to be a deep fat frying pan left unattended on the cooker which had ignited and spread to other parts of the kitchen. The resident had fallen asleep with the pan on the ring and was woken by the smoke alarm sounding in the flat.

Station Manager Shepherd said: “The resident was very lucky and the consequences could have been far worse. Thankfully he had an operating smoke detector fitted in the flat.”