Electric blanket blamed for house fire

A FAULTY electric blanket is being blamed for a house fire which broke out in Newton Stewart at the weekend.

Two fire engines - one from Newton Stewart and one from Gatehouse - were called to Mansefield Place just after 6.30pm on Saturday following reports of a blaze.

Upon arrival, they found a fire to have broken out in a bedroom and were able to control the flames and stop them spreading. However, the remainder of the property was smoke-damaged.

No one was injured in the incident but officers have reported that a fault with the blanket was the cause.