Court Files

FILES from Stranraer Sheriff Court.

Dog sales 'illegal'

A FORMER Newton Stewart man who sold dogs illegally was fined a total of 1,050 at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Mark Tubman, 29, previously of Carseminnoch Farm, but now residing in Northern Ireland, had previously admitted keeping a pet shop without a licence in Dumfries and selling dogs there, meeting potential customers at Aldi, Dumfries, and selling dogs as pets at Dumfries Railway Station between July and September 2008.

Solicitor Michael Kilkerr said Tubman had bred dogs in his native Northern Ireland where the same licensing requirements did not apply.

Car-wreck charge

TWO teenage girls who vandalised a car in Whithorn when they were drunk were given a supervised attendance order of 100 hours each at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Tuesday.

Kerrie Fitzsimmonds, 16, Hillcrest, Windsor Road, Newton Stewart, and Natasha Martin, 16, 30 Isle Street, Whithorn, both pled guilty to causing 800 of damage striking a car with bricks, smashing five of the windows and denting the bodywork of the car parked at Kilncroft, between April 24th and 25th.

Both expressed remorse for their action through their solicitors.

Sheriff Robb said the two accused appeared in the dock as "spectacular first offenders" who, he pointed out, did not have the means to pay restitution for the damage done, but had money to spend on drink.

Shouted at police

SHOUTING offensive remarks to police officers after the Wigtown Show Dance landed Whithorn man Calvyn Alexander in court in Stranraer this week for sentencing.

Alexander, 22, of 36 Isle Street, had previously admitted resisting, struggling and lashing out at four police officers and acting in an aggressive manner, shouting, swearing, uttering threats and offensive remarks towards the police officers at the Bladnoch showfield on August 6th.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb decided to defer sentence until July 13th, 2010, and continued Alexander's current probation order.

Drug possession

A FINE of 300 was imposed on a Kirkcowan man who admitted two charges of possession at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Alexander Laing, 31, of 12 Meadow Park, pled guilty by letter to being in possession of diamorphine and cannabis resin at his home on June 18th.

Twice the limit

A STRANRAER man who decided to get into his car the day after the night before was disqualified for 18 months and fined 280 after he was found to be still twice over the limit.

Stuart Dougan, 27, 61 Hanover Street, appeared from custody on Monday at the town's sheriff court to pled guilty to being in charge of a car with an alcohol reading of 83 microgrammes in 100 millilitres of breath, the limit being 35, in Castle Street, on Saturday afternoon.

Fiscal Kenny Grieve said police saw Dougan struggling to change a flat tyre. When they spoke to him, they noticed the smell of alcohol.

Dougan was taken to the police station for a breath test and when confronted with the reading had exclaimed: "I don't understand it. I brushed my teeth and had a bacon roll."

Drunk's 180 fine

A DRUNK who told the police he got into a strange car not to steal it but to "check the time" was fined 180 at Stranraer Sheriff Court on Monday.

Gordon Young, 18, from Dumfries, pled guilty to being in the vehicle in Church Street, Stranraer, on December 18th, without lawful authority.

Procurator Fiscal Kenny Grieve said that CCTV camera had picked up the accused entering the car by the passenger's door at around 12.30am that night.

The CCTV operator had his attention drawn to the accused as he was drunk and making a nuisance of himself.

Teen had knife

A STRANRAER teenager appeared from custody on Monday at Stranraer Sheriff Court to pled guilty to being in possession of a knife.

Andrew Broadfoot, 16, 33 Nursery Avenue, admitted having the knife with him in Agnew Crescent early on Saturday morning.

Lawyer Paul Feeney said Broadfoot had been at a party that night and had been assaulted after being mistaken for his brother. He returned home to get some money so he could go back out to get something to eat and decided to take the kitchen knife with him in case he met his attackers again. Mr Feeney said that the accused's judgement "had been clouded" by his fear of being assaulted again.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb decided to defer sentence after expressing concern at the accused going home and "tooling up".

Attacked his ex

A CAIRNRYAN man who assaulted his former partner was ordered to do 160 hours of community service, put on probation for two years and ordered to attend alcoholic counselling at Stranraer Court on Tuesday.

Francis Ringland, 21, of 4, Claddyburn Terrace, admitted assaulting Louise Jamison at a previous diet, by forcing entry to her house, throwing her onto a couch, grabbing her on the throat and punching her on the face.

Lawyer Paul Feeney said that alcohol had let to most of the accused's appearances in court.

5 attack charges

SENTENCE was deferred on two men who pled guilty to five assault charges between them at the sheriff court in Stranraer on Tuesday.

Douglas Allison, 43, 37 Agnew Crescent, Stranraer, admitted assaulting Michael Snodgrass at the Golden Cross, George Street, and assaulting Alexander Fleming and Andrew Jamieson in North Strand Street on March 15th. John Allison,18, of the same address, admitted assaulting Robert Kinalczyk and Alexander Fleming in North Strand Street the same night.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb deferred sentence for reports on the accused until September 29th.

Jailed for 162 days

A STRANRAER man was jailed for 162 days at the Sheriff Court on Tuesday after a violent assault.

Alan Marshall, 18, 2 Old Port Avenue, appeared for sentencing after previously pleading guilty to assaulting Ian Wallace in King George V Park on July 3rd by repeatedly punching and kicking him and knocking him to the ground to his injury.

Sheriff Kenneth Robb said that Marshall's behaviour that day had been "chilling".