DISASTER was averted on Thursday evening as fire crews managed to control a blaze which broke out in the roof of a house with no fire alarms near Barnkirk.
At around 7.30pm, two fire appliances and one supervisory officer raced to the scene and were confronted by a developing fire within the roof space of a single storey annexe on a farm on the outskirts of the town.
A fire service spokeswoman said: “Crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly dismantled part of the ceiling and removed insulation to access the developing fire which had affected roof beams and was in danger of spreading to the main house.
“Firefighters used a hose jet to extinguish the fire before it broke through to the main house and utilised a thermal imaging camera to check for signs of fire spread before ventilating smoke from the property.
“The cause of the fire has been investigated and found to be due to radiated heat igniting lagging and the timber ceiling in close proximity to the stove flue pipe.”
She added: “Unfortunately, a smoke detector was not fitted to the property, which may have given earlier warning of the fire, thereby resulting in less damage.”
You can contact the fire service to arrange for a free Home Fire Safety Check, where a ten year battery smoke alarm will be provided free of charge.
For further information contact a Community Safety Officer on 01387 252222.