Whauphill dad thanks ambulance crews after horror crash

A Whauphill man has thanked the Scottish Ambulance Service (SAS) after being involved in a crash which resulted in him breaking 33 bones and leaving him a quadriplegic.

Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 2:35 pm
Updated Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 5:09 pm
Luke Louden was left with life-altering injuries following a car crash last summer

The 31-year-old dad-of-four lost control of his car while out driving last August, hit a tree and was thrown into a field.

Luke Louden dislocated his left shoulder as well as fracturing his fibula and tibia, and on arriving at hospital was discovered to have sustained incomplete damage to his spinal cord at C7 T1, leaving him a quadriplegic.

The SAS dispatched several resources to the scene, including an air ambulance crew.

Luke wanted to personally thank Frazer Erskine of Stranraer Station, Sarah Howatson and Andrea Hamilton of Newton Stewart Station, and the ScotSTAR team of James Henderson, Cheryl Logan, Frank Westerduin, and Wayne Auton.

He said: “I cannot express fully the thanks I have for the crews who attended my crash.

"They were highly professional and their efficient treatment saved my left leg, which I had to have operated on and a fasciotomy performed. As a family we are extremely thankful.”

Luke said his recovery has been “slow and painful” and added: “I have struggled with Allodynia, which means the slightest breath to an area causes severe pain.

"It’s been a steep learning curve, not to mention all the medication I now have to take and the side effects many of them come with.

“Getting to grips with the change to my lifestyle has been hard but the separation from my wife and children has been almost unbearable. I have missed birthdays, seeing our son learn to stand and take his first steps.”

Luke managed to get home for his son’s first birthday on December 18, and a gofundme page has been set up to aid his recovery, which has received over £7,000 – to donate visit https://gofund.me/30b7157c.

He added: “My recovery is extremely slow. It’s been eight months and I’m still getting used to everyday living, but with a lot of help from my wife and family I’m slowly getting used to being a quadriplegic and knowing this is me for life.

"So please donate even if it’s only a pound, it could potentially change my life.”