Gatehouse Flower Show results
The Gatehouse Horticultural Society Annual Show held its 113th event at the weekend with entries 761 up on last year.
The show opener was Mr Frank Maycock of Gatehouse and judges were as follows:
Cut Flowers & Pot Plants Mr Roy Bell of Borgue
Floral Art Mrs Susan Foster Gatehouse & assisted by Audrey Slee of New Galloway
Fruit & Vegetables Mr Jimmy Reid of Ardwell
Baking Mrs Mary Morran of Twynholm
Produce & Preserves Mrs Wilma Ingram Twynholm
Handicraft & Juvenile Mrs Susan Jones Kirkcudbright
Children’s Mrs Catherine Proudlock of Gatehouse
153 Tray of Wild Fruit – 1st Matthew Hind; 2nd Ryan Hind.
154 Floating Flower Arrangement – 1st Rachel Donald.
155 Lego Animal – 1st Euan Donald; 2nd Rachel Donald; 3rd Ryan Hind.
157 Miniature Garden – 1st Ryan Hind; 2nd Matthew Hin;d 3rd Ben Macpherson.
158 Arrangement of white & Yellow Flowers – 1st Matthew Hind.
159 Handwriting 7-9 – 1st Yvie Murdoch; 2nd Imogen Hannay; 3rd Max Wright.
160 Handwriting 10-13 – 1st Jennifer Allen; 2nd Carrie Mundell: 3rd Bruno Perez.
161 Vegetable Animal – 1st Matthew Hind; 2nd Ryan Hind; 3rd Cloe Maxwell.
162 Flower Painting under 6years – 1stRyan Hind; 2nd Beth Hutchison; 3rd Emilie Sutherland.
163 Flower Painting 7-11 – 1st Jennifer Allen; 2nd Fraser McTaggart; 3rd Angus Thom.
167 1 Vegetable Marrow – 1st Rachel Donald; 2nd Euan Donald.
168 1 Decorated Hard Boiled Egg – 1st Matthew hind; 2nd Ryan Hind.
Special Prize for Best Overall Handwriting – Yvie Murdoch.
2013 TROPHY WINNERS LIST
1. Mrs Murray-Usher O.B.E. Cup to mark the European Conservation Year. For the most outstanding exhibit in the Horticultural Section ( excluding large and small decorative classes) – Joe Proudlock.
2. Bi-centenary Cup presented by Gatehouse Horticultural Society for best exhibit in Class 118 (Jar of Chutney) – Elizabeth McCarlie.
3. Mrs Murray-Baillie Silver Challenge Cup for best exhibit of Cut Flowers – Joe Proudlock.
4. Des Wright Memorial Cup for best vase of Dahlias – Mark Paterson.
5. Mr H.A .Madeley Cup for the winner of Class 20 – Keith Kemp (Roses).
6. Starks the Chemist Cup for best exhibit of Annuals – May Lockhart.
7. Mr G. Bourne-May Cup for the most outstanding exhibit in Decorative Classes – Pippa Faed.
8. Open Cup presented by the Stewartry Flower Club for the competitor gaining most points in Floral Art – Yvonne McConnell.
9. Mr F.L. Stenhouse Silver Rose Bowl for the best exhibit of Pot Plants – Alex Paterson.
10. Mr Stewart Paton Silver Challenge Cup for best Exhibit Class 69 (Tomatoes) – Suzette Harris.
11. Shield presented by Mr R Bell Borgue for the Best Exhibit in the Vegetable section – Joe Proudlock.
12. The Lady McCulloch Trophy for the competitor gaining most points in Baking, Preserves, Produce& Handicraft Classes – Kathleen Gilligan.
13. Silver Challenge Cup for the most points in Baking – Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
14. The late Mrs Baillie Trophy for the best exhibit in Produce – Margaret McWilliam.
15. Goodall Trophy for the Best Bottle of Wine – Tracy Cook.
16. Mr A.J. King-Barker Trophy for the Best Rose Wine – Terry Colson.
17. Old Land Trophy for most points in Wine – Terry Colson.
18. Jean Riddick Trophy for most points in Preserves – Kathleen Gilligan.
19. The Neil Salver for most points in Handicrafts – Margaret McWilliams.
20. The A. Rennie Stenhouse Children’s class cup to be awarded to class 155 (Lego Animal) – Euan Donald.
21. The most meritorious exhibit in Childrens Classes Presented by Mrs J McLeod – Ryan Hind.
22. The Christie Cup to be awarded to class158 (Children’s flower arrangement) – Matthew Hind.
23. Prize presented by Dr Law for Flower Painting children under 11 years – Jennifer Allen.
27. The Garside prize for class 96 (potatoes) – Joe Proudlock.
28. Gallacher Trophy for Most Points in Juvenile Classes – Matthew Hind.
29. McCulloch Trophy for Best Exhibit of Lilies – May Lockhart.
30. Murray-Usher Goblet for most points in pot plants – May Lockhart.
31. Murray-Usher Goblet for most points in Produce – Elizabeth McCarlie.
32. McCarlie Trophy for Best Exhibit in Baking – Kathleen Gilligan.
33. The Allison Veitch Trophy for best Exhibit in Class 25 – Margaret McWilliam (Calendulas).
34. Prize presented by Mrs J. McLeod for Flower Painting children under 6 years – Ryan Hind.
35. Hannah Menzies Memorial (Best Exhibit of Roses) – Keith Kemp.
38. Early Worm Trophy for Class 167 Marrow – Rachel Donald.
39. Early Worm Trophy for Class 168 Decorated Egg – Matthew Hind.
40. Suzette Harris Trophy Most points in Vegetables – Gary Cook.
41. The Beatrice and Tom Clark Memorial Salver for most points in Cut Flowers – May Lockhart.
1a. 1 bloom (over 6 ins diameter) 1st May Lockhart, 2nd Mark Paterson, 3rd Terry Colson.
2a. 1 bloom, (under 6in diameter) 1st & 2nd Terry Colson.
3. 1 Vase Decorative, small 3 blooms 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd & 3rd May Lockhart.
4. 1 Vase, Cactus or Semi Medium 3 blooms 1st & 2nd Mark Paterson 3rd May Lockhart.
5. Cactus or Semi small 3 blooms 1st May Lockhart 2nd Isobel McLeod.
6. 1 Vase, Ball Miniature 3 blooms 1st May Lockhart 2nd Mark Paterson 3rd Geraldine Grave.
7. 1 Vase Decorative small 3 blooms 1st Geraldine Grave 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Suzette Harris.
8. One Vase Pom-pom ( under 2ins) 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Mark Paterson.
11. 1 Vase, single Spray 1st May Lockhart.
Best Exhibit of Chrysanthemums May Lockhart.
13. 2 Vases Sweet peas. 9 stems in each 1st Joe Proudlock.
14. 1 Vase 9 stems 1st Joe Proudlock.
15. 1 Vase 6 stems 1st Joe Proudlock.
18. H.T. Rose 1 bloom 1st & 3rd May Lockhart 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
20. 1 Vase Rambler, Floribunda or Climbing 1st Keith Kemp 2nd & 3rd May Lockhart.
Special Prize Best Single Rose – May Lockhart.
21. Annuals 1st May Lockhart 2nd Margaret McWilliam 3rd Lillian Raine.
22. Asters Single 1st & 2nd Terry Colson.
23. Asters Double 1st & 2nd Margaret McWilliam 3rd May Laycock.
25. 1 Vase Calendulas 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Terry Colson.
26. Antirrhinums, 4 spikes 1st May Lockhart 2nd Anne –Margaret Johnstone 3rd Pippa Faed.
27. African Marigolds 1st 2nd & 3rd May Lockhart.
28. 4 Begonias on a board, 1st Suzette Harris.
28a. 6 Fuchsia blooms on a board, 1st Margaret McWilliam; 2nd & 3rd Frank Maycock.
29. 6 Pansies or Violas on a board, 1st Geraldine Grave; 2nd Gordon Gilligan; 3rd Suzette Harris .
30. 3 Gladioli, 1st Joe Proudlock.
31. 2 Gladioli, 1st Joe Proudlock; 2nd Frank Maycock.
32. Gladioli, 1 Spike 1st David Steel – Special Prize Best Gladiola Joe Proudlock.
33. Flowering Shrubs, 1st & 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Moyra Martineau.
34. Hardy Herbaceous, 1 Variety 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Pauline Logan.
35. Hardy Herbaceous, Mixed 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Pippa Faed.
36. Montbretia, 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Margaret McWilliam.
37. Phlox, 1st & 2nd Margaret McWilliam;3rd Pauline Logan.
38. Lilies, 3 Spikes 1st May Lockhart.
38a. Lilies, 1 Spike 1st May Lockhart.
The Thomas Barty prize for Best Exhibit of Herbaceous Flowers– Margaret McWilliam.
39. Best Arrangement of Sweet Peas 1st May Lockhart 2nd Yvonne McConnell 3rd Isobel Mcleod.
40. Arrangement with Driftwood 1st Pippa Faed 2nd Buffy Carson 3rd Yvonne McConnell.
41. Best Bowl Dahlias 1st Isobel McLeod 2nd May Lockhart.
42. Arrangement in a Flower Basket 1st Buffy Carson 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Isobel McLeod.
43. Arrangement Titled Shades of Summer 1st Yvonne McConnell 2nd Buffy Carson.
44. Small Arrangement in a Cup & Saucer 1st May Lockhart 2nd Yvonne McConnell 3rd Alex Hodson.
45. Arrangement 5 Flowers one colour. one variety 1st May Lockhart 2nd Isobel McLeod 3rd Pippa Faed.
46. Arrangement, Without flowers 1st Yvonne McConnell 2nd Alex Hodson 3rd Geraldine Grave.
47. Gents Buttonhole 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Buffy Carson.
48. Ladies Spray 1st Buffy Carson 2nd Margaret McWilliam.
49. Miniature arrangement of Flowers. 1st Yvonne McConnell 2nd Isobel McLeod 3rd Pippa Faed.
50. Begonia Rex 1st May Lockhart 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
51. Fuchsia in Flower 1st Chris Spencer 2nd Alex Paterson.
52. Fuchsia Semi or Double 1st Alex Paterson.
53. Begonia Tuberous-rooted, (any variety)1st & 2nd Alex Paterson 3rd Mark Paterson.
55. Begonia Pendulous 1st Alex Paterson.
56. Pelargonium or Geranium in Flower 1st May Lockhart 2nd Alex Paterson.
56a. Pelargonium or Geranium Foliage 1st Alex Paterson 2nd May Lockhart.
57. Fern 1st May Lockhart.
58. Cacti 1st & 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
58a. Succulent 1st Jim Logan 2nd Alex Paterson
59. Tradescantia 1st Alex Paterson 2nd Suzette Harris.
60. Gloxinia 1st & 2nd May Lockhart.
61. Flowering Plant of a variety not in above classes 1st Val hunter 2nd Alex Paterson 3rd May Lockhart.
62. Any other plant not in above classes 1st & 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Suzette Harris.
62a. Any Orchid 1st Terry Colson 2nd May Lockhart 3rd Suzette Harris.
FOR EXHIBITORS WITHOUT A GLASSHOUSE
63. House Plant (foliage) 1st Drew McFadzean 2nd Yvonne McConnell 3rd Gordon Gilligan.
64. Flowering Plant 1st Kathy Patterson 2nd Gordon Gilligan 3rd May Lockhart.
66. Four Dessert Apples 1st & 2nd Gary Cook 3rd Frank Maycock.
67. Four Cooking Apples 1st Gary Cook.
68. Four Plums 1st Tracy Cook 2nd Simon Faed.
69. Four Tomatoes, (Quality) 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Drew McFadzean 3rd Gary Cook.
69a. Six Cherry Tomatoes 1st Gary Cook 2nd Suzette Harris 3rd Jim Logan.
70. Six Tomatoes, (Weight) 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Gary Cook.
71. Truss of Tomatoes 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Frank Maycock 3rd Joe Proudlock.
73. Six Shallots, Pear Shaped 1st Joe Proudlock.
74. Four Pods Peas 1st Gray Cook 2nd Peter Martineau 3rd Joe Proudlock.
75. Four Pods Broad Beans 1st Frank Maycock 2nd Peter Martineau 3rd Gary Cook.
76. Four Runner Beans 1st Jim Logan 2nd Suzette Harris 3rd Simon Faed.
77. Four French Beans 1st & 3rd Suzette Harris 2nd Simon Faed.
78. Two Beetroot, Round 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Suzette Harris 3rd Drew McFadzean.
79. Two Carrots (Stump) 1st & 2nd Gary Cook 3rd Simon Faed.
80. Two Carrots (long) 1st & 2nd Gary Cook 3rd Peter Martineau.
81. Six Stalks Rhubarb (Quality) 1st Vivien Millner 2nd Suzette Harris.
82. Six Stalks Rhubarb (Weight) 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Frank Maycock.
83a. Two Trench Leeks 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Jim Logan.
84. Three Onions (Quality) under 12 inches 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd & 3rd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
85. Two Onions (Heaviest) 1st Joe Proudlock.
86. Three Onions(Quality) 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Drew McFadzean.
87. Three Onion Sets Round 1st Gary Cook.
87aThree Onion Sets Flat 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Frank Maycock 3rd Jim Logan.
88. One Cucumber 1st Suzette Harris 2nd David McWilliam 3rd Frank Maycock .
89. One Vegetable Marrow (Quality) 1st & 2nd David Steel 3rd Gary Cook.
90. One Vegetable Marrow (Weight) 1st Simon Faed 2nd Pauline Logan 3rd Suzette Harris.
91. One Lettuce 1st Gary Cook.
93. One Cabbage 1st Gary Cook 2nd Simon Faed 3rd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
93a. One Red Cabbage 1st Gary Cook 2nd Frank Maycock.
94. One Pot of Parsley 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie 3rd Isobel McLeod.
94a One Pot any other Herb 1st Vivien Millner 2nd Jim Logan 3rd Simon Faed.
95. Collection of Potatoes, 2 Varieties, 4 tubers on each plate 1st Gary Cook 2nd Simon Faed.
3rd Peter Martineau.
96. Four potatoes, One Variety 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Simon Faed 3rd Gary Cook.
97. Collection of Four Vegetables 1st Joe Proudlock 2nd Gary Cook 3rd Simon Faed.
98. A Pair of any other Vegetables, to be named. 1st Gary Cook 2nd Jim Logan 3rd Suzette Harris.
99. Two Courgettes 1st Simon Faed 2nd David Steel 3rd Drew McFadzean.
Mrs Blenkin Prize for the Most Meritorious Vegetable – Joe Proudlock.
100. Potato Scones 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie 3rd Ann Doak.
101. Oven scones (Cheese) 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Chris Spencer 3rd Jan Prance.
102. Dropped scone 1st Isobel McLeod 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
103. Girdle Scones (Treacle) 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Elizabeth mcCarlie.
104. Girdle Scones 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Ann Doak 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
105. White Yeast Loaf( Made in a Breadmaker) 1st Margaret Torrance 2nd Anne Doak 3rd Chris Spencer.
105a. Wheaten Yeast Loaf 1st Alex Hodson.
106. Sponge Sandwich 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
107. Fruit Loaf 1st Elizabeth McCarlie 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Margaret McWilliam.
108. Fruit Squares.(Short pastry). 1st Elizabeth McCarlie 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
109. Shortbread 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie 3rd Margaret McWilliam.
110. Plain Gingerbread(½lb Flour).1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Ann Doak 3rd Isobel McLeod.
111. Apple Tart (short pastry) 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
112. Three Decorated Cup Cakes 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie 3rd Susan Hind.
113. Empire Biscuits 1st Isobel McLeod 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie 3rd Margaret McWilliam.
114. Wedge of Savoury Flan 1st Tracy Cook 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie.
114a. Tray Bake 1st Anne-Margaret Johnstone 2nd Kathleen Gilligan 3rd Jan Prance, Special Prize for most points in Baking Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
115. Six Truffles 1st Tracy Cook 2nd Kathleen Gilligan 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
116. Vanilla Tablet 1st Elizabeth McCarlie 2nd Anne-Margaret Johnstone 3rd Margaret McWilliam.
117. Cold Sweet 1st Isobel McLeod 2nd Kathleen Gilligan 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
118. Jar of Chutney 1st Elizabeth McCarlie 2nd Chris Spencer 3rd Isobel McLeod.
119. Mint jelly 1st Margaret mcWilliam 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie.
120. One Scotch Egg 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie.
121. One Jar Lemon Curd 1st Anne_Margaret Johnstone 2nd Margaret McWilliam 3rd Elizabeth McCarlie.
122. Salad Cream 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Elizabeth McCarlie.
122a. 6 Hens Eggs 1st Gordon Gilligan 2nd Moyra Martineau 3rd Tracy Cook.
122b. 6 Eggs, any other 1st & 2nd Gilligan.
Special Prize for most points in Produce Elizabeth McCarlie.
123. Red Wine 1st Terry Colson.
124. White Wine 1st Tracy Cook.
125. Rose Wine 1st Terry Colson.
126. Any Homemade Liqueur 1st Gary Cook 2nd Tracy Cook 3rd Simon Faed.
127. Rhubarb Jam 1st Moyra Martineau 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Alex Hodson.
128. Apple Jelly 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Moyra Martineau.
129. Gooseberry Jelly 1st Margaret McWilliam 2nd Tracy Cook.
130. Strawberry Jam 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Kathy Patterson.
131. Blackcurrant Jam 1st Suzette Harris 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Moyra Martineau.
132. Raspberry Jam 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Margaret McWilliam 3rd Suzette Harris.
133. Gooseberry Jam 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Tracy Cook.
134. Orange Marmalade 1st Susan Hind 2nd Geraldine Grave 3rd Isobel McLeod.
135. Blackcurrant Jelly 1st Kathleen Gilligan 2nd Margaret McWilliam 3rd Tracy Cook.
135a. Any other Jam 1st Tracy Cook 2nd Kathleen Gilligan.
Special Prize for Best Exhibit in Preserves Margaret McWilliam
136. Coloured Snapshot of Bonnie Galloway 1st Hedley Grave 2nd Geraldine Grave 3rd Isobel McLeod.
137. Knitted Scarf in Fashion Wool 1st Margaret McWilliam.
139. Greetings Card 1st Susan Hind 2nd Anne Doak 3rd Anne-Margaret Johnstone.
141. Dressed Doll(Sewn) 1st Margaret McWilliam.
142. Article( Any other craft) 1st bobby Carsn 2nd Lillian Raine 3rd Margaret McWilliam.
143. Article in Canvas or Embroidery 1st Geraldine Grave 2nd Alex Hodson.
144. Childs Toy 1st Margaret McWilliam.
145. Coloured Snapshot (On the Beach) 1st Roy Spencer 2nd Jim Logan 3rd Geraldine Grave.
Special Prize for best Exhibit Class 136 Hedley Grave.
Special Prize for Best Exhibit in Handicraft Margaret McWilliam.
146. Edible Necklace 1st Matthew Hind 2nd Ryan Hind 3rd Mia Slattery.
147. Photograph 1st Matthew hind.
147a. Decorated Rich Tea Biscuit 1st Matthew Hind 2nd Ryan Hind 3rd Rachel Donald.
148. Rock Buns 1st Matthew Hind.
149. Oven Scones 1st Rachel Donald 2nd Matthew Hind.
150. Drop Scones 1st Matthew Hind.
151. Three Decorated Cup Cakes 1st Ryan Hind 2nd Rachel Donald 3rd Matthew Hind.
Special Prize for Best Exhibit of Scones – Rachel Donald.
Special Prize for Best Exhibit in Baking – Matthew Hind.
Fitzpatrick Prize for Best Exhibit in Classes 146,147,147a – Matthew Hind.