Star edge cup clash

Newton Stewart v Nithsdale Wanderers, Newton's Liam Muir get's some close attention from Niths' James Houston
Newton Stewart v Nithsdale Wanderers, Newton's Liam Muir get's some close attention from Niths' James Houston

Holders Dalbeattie Star are through to the semi-final stages of this season’s South Challenge Cup after beating Stewartry rivals St Cuthbert Wanderers 3-1 at St Mary’s Park.

A Craig Ferguson header put the visitors ahead in the first minute and Paul Cook added another 16 minutes later. Ben Irvine pulled a goal back for Saints in the 29th minute but on the hour mark Curtis Wilson ensured victory for the Dalbeattie side.

There were three South of Scotland League matches, with both second and third placed suffering defeats.

Threave were beaten 4-2 at Hospital Park at the hands of Crichton, while Wigtown and Bladnoch went down by the odd goal in three to Heston Rovers.

Striker Roman Soltys opened the scoring for Crichton after three minutes play but a Shaun Milligan double put Threave into the driving seat after only 10 minutes.

Brodie Turner squared the match just before the break and in the second half Ross Newlands and Soltys scored a goal each to seal the points for the home side.

At Maryfield Heston Rovers had a good victory over the high flying Wigtown side with Russell Jardine giving the home team the lead in the first minute with a 25-yard drive.

The visitors leveled the match seven minutes after the half-time break when Scott Forrester headed into the net but in the 76th minute Steve Walker found the winner from a Jonathan Boyd pass.

Heston manager Raymond Boyd said after the match: “I thought our defence was superb today. Wigtown have a few big lads and knocked long balls in time after time. They also had plenty of corners but we dealt with the aerial threat well. We had 11 men behind the ball for the last 10 minutes as Wigtown tried for the equaliser but a fantastic team effort ensured three points in the end.”

Newton Stewart also recorded a narrow victory in their match at Blairmount Park against Nithsdale Wanderers, with Graeme Blain giving the home side the lead a minute before the break. In the 79th minute Lewis Dunn doubled the score but five minutes later the visitors pulled a goal back from the penalty spot through Davy Kennedy.

Results from Saturday, April 27

South of Scotland League

Crichton 4 Threave Rovers 2

Heston Rovers 2 Wigtown and Bladnoch 1

Newton Stewart 2 Nithsdale Wanderers 1

Challenge Cup second round

St Cuthbert Wanderers 1 Dalbeattie Star 3