South Scene round-up with John McNaught

There were only two South of Scotland League matches scheduled to be played last Saturday but only one went ahead with the Lochar Thistle versus Fleet Star match becoming a victim of the wet weather.

The match at Sanquhar though went ahead with Nithsdale Wanderers overcoming visitors Crichton by three goals to two.

Goals from the visitors Clarke Chambers and Luke Hammond was not enough for the Dumfries side to take anything from the match with the home side taking the three points with goals from Lori Johnston, Logan Hamilton and Tommy Thompson.

The main focus though was on the second round of the SFA Regional Challenge Cup matches which was taking place although two were postponed due to the weather.

BSC Glasgow versus Abbey Vale and Upper Annandale versus Creetown were cancelled and will now be played this coming weekend.

However the others went ahead with the two local Lowland League teams facing up to each other at Islecroft where Dalbeattie Star took on neighbours Threave Rovers.

The home side started the match well and went ahead within a minute through Jack Steele but the match was all square in the twelth minute when Dean Fyff equalised for Threave. Five minutes later Steele scored again but in the nineteenth minute Jamie Struthers levelled the match again.

An Ian Millar double put clear water between the teams before the break with his second coming a minute before the break straight from a free kick.

Star fought back after the re-start with Graham Bell scoring with a header just after the hour mark and Lewis Sloan finding the net in the sixty seventh minute to square the contest for the final time.

There were no more goals in the extra time period with Star winning the penalty shoot out by four goals to three to put them through to round three of the competition.

Heston Rovers had no answer to the challenge of Lowland side East Kilbride and went down by five goals to nil while Edusport saw off Glasgow University by three goals to one.

Dumfries YMCA were well off the mark in their contest at Raydale Park where they were beaten by eleven goals to nil by Gretna 2008.

Wigtown and Bladnoch beat St Cuthbert Wanderers at St Mary’s Park by four goals to nil with ex-Kilmarnock player Jamie Adams opening the scoring in the twenty seventh minute.

Robert John Paisley added a double with Lewis McIntyre scoring a fourth to see the Trammondford Park side comfortably through to the next round.

A goal in each half for Newton Stewart was enough for the Blairmount Park side to progress.

Graeme Blain scored the first from twenty-five yards when he fired the ball into the net through a ruck of players and ten minutes after the re-start mid-fielder Johnny Fisher played a through ball to young striker Robert Middleton who saw off two defenders before drawing the keeper and placing the ball into the net for what was a superb goal.