Blacks return to winning ways

Strathendrick 6, Stewartry 33

Kicking off this RBS West League Division Two match, Stewartry were penalised right away because they were in front of the kicker. This gave the home side a scrum on halfway, allowing Strathendrick to get down into the Blacks’ half.

An early penalty given away by Stewartry allowed the home side to get well into their 22. Strathendrick took the lineout ball and tried to drive over the Stewartry line but the Blacks got a turnover, allowing Cammy Fenwick to clear.

Strathendrick kept the Blacks pinned inside their own half but the home team could not penetrate the solid Stewartry defence. There were 20 minutes on the clock before Stewartry were able to get into home territory.

The Blacks got a scrum on the home 22 but were pushed back, allowing Strathendrick to kick downfield. With 25 minutes gone, the home side got a scrum on the Blacks 22 but they could not gain any ground.

On the half-hour Stewartry hooker Burton was yellow-carded for coming into a ruck from the side. Strathendrick’s penalty hit the post and Stewartry were able to clear. Michael McCulloch replaced Sainsbury so that the Blacks still had a front row.

With another scrum 18 metres from the Stewartry line, the put-in was squint. The scrum was reset and once more the home pack got the push on, getting up to the Blacks’ five-metre line. Stewartry gave away another penalty to give Strathendrick the first points on the board.

At the restart McMinn charged inside the home 22. The ball went out to the right wing and Austin kicked forward over the home line but it went dead.

Five minutes from the break, from a lineout, Strathendrick went deep into the Blacks 22. Good defence from Kerr and McMinn took Stewartry back up to the home 22 where Strathendrick gave away a penalty. Burton and Sainsbury went back on and in the five-metre lineout the Blacks took the ball but it was knocked on.

At the start of the second half Ian Fenwick caught the ball and broke forward but was penalised on the Stewartry 22. They then gave away another penalty on their 22 for coming in from the side giving Strathendrick another three points.

In anothher scrum 10 metres from the Strathendrick line, the Blacks pushed the home pack back to their five-metre line. Fenwick picked up and drove toward the line but was stopped short. Keeping possession, the Blacks sent the ball out to winger McCarney who went in to score. The conversion missed.

Ten minutes into the second period Stewartry got a scrum on the home 22. From a good heel, the ball went out right to put Cammy Fenwick in for a try which he converted to give Stewartry a 12-6 lead.

Strathendrick were then penalised five metres from their own line for handling in a ruck. They were not back 10 metres which gave the Blacks another penalty. Good forward play allowed Kerr to get a try that Fenwick converted.

With 15 minutes left Henderson replaced Kerr. With another penalty against Stewartry, the home side got a scrum on the visitors’ 22. Strathendrick took the heel but fumbled the ball which went loose. Picken was on it quickly, kicking forward, he followed up with a 60-metre run to go in for a converted try.

Five minutes from time, the home side gave away another penalty. Taking a quick tap, Picken found space on the left wing and put Farquhar in for a bonus-point try which Fenwick converted.

Stewartry: K Riddick, S Carson, J Farquhar, C Fenwick, T J McCarney, R Austin, J Picken, M Smith, D Burton, S Broll, K McMinn, R Porteous, H Sainsbury, J Kerr, I Fenwick (captain), M McCulloch, A Cairnie L Henderson.