Residents in Creebridge got a fright on Wednesday evening when a work van containing gas cylinders caught fire.
A sizeable crowd of people gathered as the street was closed to traffic while fire crews dealt with the incident.
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “At around 7.15pm a yellow van belonging to 3B Construction went on fire after being parked outside Dunbar House by its driver.
“A transformer in the van had ignited and caused damage to tools in the rear of the van. The gas cylinders in the van were not affected.”
A statement from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service added that two fire engines from Newton Stewart attended the scene and firefighters used two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze, as well as cutting equipment to gain entry to the van, which was partly damaged by the fire.