Smoke alarm saves family’s life

A FAMILY avoided tragedy last week when their smoke alarm alerted them to a fire in their attic.

The family home at Cally, Gatehouse, went up in flames at around 10.30pm and fire crews were called immediately.

Teams from Gatehouse and Kirkcudbright plus a supervisory officer were initially sent.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “On arrival it was clear a substantial fire was developing, so a further crew from Castle Douglas were requested to assist.

“The firefighters, who were wearing breathing apparatus, brought the fire under control using hosereel jets.

“The fire started in an attic room of the house and the family were alerted by a smoke detector previously fitted by Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service during a free Home Fire Safety Check.”

Call the service on 01387 252222 to arrange a free home safety check.