A report by the Marine Conservation Society this week has warned that jellyfish sightings off Scottish waters could reach a record high this year.
Scotland’s national telehealth and telecare organisation, NHS 24, is advising people to be prepared and to seek advice on dealing with marine life stings.
NHS 24 Medical Director Professor George Crooks said: “Not all jellyfish sting but some of them have long, thin tentacles that trail underneath them. These tentacles are covered with small poisonous sacs which can produce a nasty sting if touched.
“ If you are unfortunate enough to be stung, most jellyfish stings are mild and don’t require treatment, or you can treat them yourself. Any remaining tentacles should be removed using tweezers or a clean stick (wear gloves if they’re available). Applying an ice pack to the affected area will help reduce pain and inflammation.
“Remember that vinegar is no longer recommended for treating jellyfish stings because it may make things worse by activating unfired stinging cells. The use of other substances, such as alcohol and baking soda, should also be avoided. Applying shaving cream to the affected area will help prevent the spread of toxins.
“However, dial 999 if there are severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or chest pains.”