From Our FIles

0
Have your say

50 Years Ago - June 3rd, 1961

Sir William McFadzean, who is a Stranraer man, has had the honour of having a laboratory named after him. The laboratory was opened in London by HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Sir William, chairman of the British Insulated Callender’s Cable Ltd since 1954, has lead the group during its greatest expansion. The new laboratory will be primarily used for work in physics.

For the third successive year Drumlamford Gardens, Barhill, were opened to the public on Saturday by kind permission of Sir Samuel Beale KBE. On a perfect day many people again took advantage of the opportunity afforded them to visit the beautiful gardens and grounds. The view from Drumlamford house, overlooking the loch, was entrancing and the vivid colouring of the rhododendrons and azaleas was greatly admired. Trade was also very brisk at the very popular tea stall. Great credit for the success of the afternoon is due to Mr John Martin and his staff assisted by Mrs M Brown and her helpers. The gross sum of £60 was realised.

While digging in his garden recently, Mr W McColm, Beoch Farm, Newton Stewart, found a coin resembling a shilling, but on which the date was not clear. The finder thought the coin, which has milled edges, might be Victorian and not very old. It was sent it to Mr Hugh McMaster a numismatist who lives in Glasgow for his advice, and he informed Mr McMaster that it is in fact a Queen Anne 1711 shilling, and therefore exactly two hundred and fifty years old.

25 years Ago – June 7th, 1986

A STRANRAER policeman whose quick thinking almost certainly saved the lives of two toddlers he rescued from a burning car received a special bravery award yesterday. The award was made to PC Jim Davitt in recognition of his bravery when pulling young Lee and Elizabeth Barrett, who were aged five and 18 months at the time, from a blazing car in Hanover Street, Stranraer, last November. David received his commendation at Stranraer Police Station on Thursday afternoon. The two children were inside the car around tea-time when the interior suddenly burst into flames, due, it is thought, to a discarded cigarette end. Their parents, Mr and Mrs Peter Barrett, of Shawfield, Stranraer, were in a nearby shop when the accident happened. PC Davitt, who was off duty when he spotted the drama by chance, entered the still blazing car through the front passenger door and pulled the children to safety from the back seat. The family dog was also rescued.

LATE on Tuesday afternoon the Kirkcudbright and Gatehouse Fire Brigades were summoned to Pulcree Farm, Gatehouse, where sacking on the roof of the house occupied by stockman James McClymont had caught fire. Damage was restricted to a small area of the roof around the chimney.