Fire breaks out in Newton Stewart flat

The fire spread through the wall into Laura McGaw's gift shop next door.'GG 0107001 11
The fire spread through the wall into Laura McGaw's gift shop next door.'GG 0107001 11

A FIRE broke out in a flat on Newton Stewart’s Victoria Street last night (Thursday), causing extensive damage to nearby businesses.

The entrnace to the flat, in between Laura’s Toy and Gift Shop and Cafe Cree, became filled with smoke after a fire took hold from the electricity box. The hallway was quickly blackened with damage and fire officers were fast on the scene to tackle the blaze.

The flat’s resident, a young man, was not in the building at the time.

But now Laura McGaw who owns her shop next door, is sending out the message that she is still open for business despite damage to her walls and stock.

Laura said: “When I arrived last night, the whole shop was filled with smoke. I was peering in the window and couldn’t see a thing.

“The firemen came in and found their way to the back door to open it but the place was in darkness because the power was out.”

The only damage to Laura’s property was behind a display shelf where an electricity cable scorched through. The shop smells strongly of smoke but no stock has been damaged and on the approach to the busiest time of year, Laura will keep her shop open.

She added: “Nothing has been damaged thankfully, it’s just a case of getting rid of the smell now.”

The Galloway Arms pub next door was also without power for some time, as were many other premises on the block.