Explosive start to Stranraer’s new year blows manhole cover

A Stranraer man was given a scary start to his new year last week when a manhole cover blew off as he passed by.

Underground cabling faults led to the mini-explosion under George Street at around 11.30am on New Year’s Day.

The power cables gave way with such ferocity, there was enough force to dislodge the manhole cover and let out smoke.

The road was closed to enable Scottish Power engineers to assess the damage and 12 customers suffered a loss of power and intermittent supplu throughout the day. They were all reconnected by 5.30pm.

A Scottish Power spokeswoman said: “We received a call at around 11.30am notifying us of the incident and sent a team to investigate and make the area safe.

“The fault was found to be in underground cabling on George Street and Princes Street and blown fuses, which would have likely caused a loud bang and smoke.

“We apologise to all customers affected by the fault.”