PLANS are underway for regional celebrations to mark The Queen’s diamond jubilee in June of this year.
A large number of national and local events are being organised, primarily for the weekend of 2 June and in Dumfries and Galloway, events are being organised by the Council, Lord Lieutenants, and community groups.
* Concert, Dumfries (Thursday 10 May)
* Garden Party, Stranraer (Saturday 2 June)
* Street Party, Dalbeattie (Sunday 3 June)
* Grand Concert, Kirkcudbright (Sunday 3 June)
* Fireworks and Grand Lantern Parade, Kirkcudbright (Monday 4 June)
* Street Party, Castle Douglas (Tuesday 5 June)
Colin Warden, Vice Lord Lieutenant for the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, said: “This really is a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in the diamond jubilee of a serving monarch.
1Queen Victoria is the only other UK monarch to have celebrated a diamond jubilee, and that was in 1897. So, we hope very much that as many people as possible will participate in our community’s celebrations for Queen Elizabeth.”
The Diamond Jubilee Concert in Dumfries will feature members of the National Youth Choir of Scotland, the brass quintet from the Royal Conservatoire of Music, and many of the region’s top young musicians.
In the Stewartry, additional celebratory events being organised by community groups include:
* Vintage Car Exhibition
* Grand Street Party
* Street Event and Fireworks
* Carers’ Lunches
* Schools’ Art Project and Exhibition
* Service of Thanksgiving