A JOINT fire and police investigation into a blaze which destroyed a car and caravan at Burrowhead, Isle of Whithorn is expected to point towards candles as the culprit.
No one was injured in the incident on Friday evening at around 10.30, but two men had to prevent the owner from attempting to regain entry to his ablaze twin axle touring caravan.
One Fire Appliance from Whithorn and another from Newton Stewart were mobilised to the incident along with a Supervisory Officer from Newton Stewart and upon arrival, the Officer In Charge was confronted by the caravan and car ablaze, with intense heat affecting an adjacent caravan.
Two personnel were deployed with hand held hose jets to extinguish the fire and prevent further spread to the adjacent caravan whilst the oncoming crew from Newton Stewart provided firefighting water from a nearby open air swimming pool on site.
A fire service spokesman said: “As an LPG gas cylinder had been affected by heat and fire personnel were kept at a safe distance and water applied to the cylinder whilst its temperature was regularly checked using a Thermal Imaging Camera.
“The cause of the fire is currently under joint investigation by Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service and Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary although it is thought that candles may have been involved.
“Caravan, holiday home users and householders are reminded to remain vigilant when using candles in their property.”
Anyone who does not have a working smoke alarm can contact the Service to arrange for a free Home Fire Safety Check, where a ten year battery smoke alarm will be provided free of charge.
In addition caravan owners are encouraged to install Carbon Monoxide detectors to provide an early indication of Carbon Monoxide build up and to have caravan heating installations regularly maintained by a qualified person.
For further information contact a Community Safety Officer on 01387 252222.