Campers avoid fire in vehicle

THE occupants of a campervan parked at Cutcloy near Isle of Whithorn on Monday managed to escape safely after their vehicle caught fire.

At around 4.45pm, Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service sent a Fire Appliances from Whithorn and Newton Stewart as well as a Supervisory Officer from Newton Stewart.

Upon arrival the Officer in Charge of the Whithorn Fire Appliance was confronted by a well developed fire involving the entire vehicle.

A fire service spokesman said: “It was quickly realised that the occupants had escaped the vehicle and removed a gas cylinder, petrol generator and some personal belongings.

“Initial crews quickly established a cordon around the vehicle and donned breathing apparatus for respiratory protection in order to tackle the established fire using a hose jet, while an ambulance was requested for the campervan driver who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

“Oncoming crews from Newton Stewart established and maintained additional fire-fighting water supplies and the fire was extinguished while the single track road remained closed to traffic for a short period.”

The cause of the fire was due to an electrical fault within the vehicle.

Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue Service would remind the public that in the event of a fire in a vehicle their main priority is to remove themselves quickly and safely from risk, stay a safe distance from the vehicle and call the Fire and Rescue Service as soon as possible.