Giant hogweed warning

editorial image

National trade body The Property Care Association has issued a timely warning on the dangers associated with Giant Hogweed.

Last year a number of children were reported to have sustained injuries after coming into contact with the invasive weed in the UK.

If anyone comes into contact with any part of the plant, followed by exposure to sunlight, they can sustain severe blistering to the skin and discomfort.

Professor Max Wade, chairman of the PCA’s Invasive Weed Control Group said: “The chemical in the plant, a furanocoumarin, needs bright light to react with the skin and causes blistering and other health problems, so this is the time of year when problems can ensue.”